Saint Mary’s College shut down campus from Jan. 30 to Jan. 31 in an effort to keep the College community safe amidst the dangerous temperatures. Yet, the Polar Vortex still managed to cause its fair share of problems. Leonardo Sanchez, professor of social work, said that Saint Mary’s made the right call in cancelling classes during the week of Jan. 28. “I was very concerned with the Polar Vortex weather because I have practicum social work students attending internships in South Bend and surrounding communities,” he said. “I care about my students’ safety driving to their field placement in good weather, and my concern increases even more in poor weather conditions.”To combat Northern Indiana’s winter weather on campus, vice president for student affairs Karen Johnson said via email that the grounds crew worked diligently to keep up with the falling snow and dangerous ice. “Our grounds crew plows, salts, shovels and clears as much snow as possible,” she said. “Our director of facilities and his assistant director worked on both the days off in the frigid temps to clear sidewalks and roads.”Ben Bowman, director of facilities, confirmed that he and the maintenance director stayed on campus “24 hours a day” to make sure they were available to “respond quickly if needed.” The Science Hall, Bowman said, posed the biggest problem in terms of maintenance. He said there was a leak “due to the cold” that staff was alerted to because of the building’s automation system. Bowman said he was able to prevent any damage to the building because of this early alarm system. This was not the only problem that manifested itself around the Science Hall. Several students slipped on the ice outside the building, and some had to be hospitalized because of the injuries they sustained. Johnson said that even though Saint Mary’s grounds crew and maintenance staff worked 24/7 during the shutdown, “it is sometimes hard to keep up with falling snow, and salt doesn’t work below certain temperatures.”But junior Natalie Davis said that, even though the Polar Vortex weather exacerbated the accessibility problems on campus, this is not the first time she has had trouble getting around. Davis, who has a wheelchair, said via email that she often has trouble getting up ramps and navigating sidewalks around campus in the winter. “Most of the time, campus is not shoveled well, and this means that I either ask for help or don’t get to access the building at all,” she said. “I don’t want to have to ask for help all the time.”During the week of the campus shutdown, Davis said the main ramp to Le Mans, used to access the first floor of the building, was closed off due to the amount of snow and ice it had accrued. Le Mans is a major thoroughfare for students who need a quick way to get from one side of campus to the other. “This isn’t the first time this situation has happened, as the ramps were closed off last year,” she said. “Last year, I actually missed a final because I got stuck on ice.”Davis said that so far this winter, if there is snow on the ground or a lack of accessibility in another way, she has been late to one or more of her classes. While many students worried how they would stay warm outside, some worried about how they would stay warm inside their rooms. At the time of the Polar Vortex, residents of the dorms were advised to contact their RA or hall director if their heaters need repairing, Johnson said. She said that there were not “many problems last week” in terms of heaters and radiators. For junior Dalanie Beach, the problem was not her heater but her windows. She said the windows in her Le Mans dorm room were so warped they let in a considerable draft. “We put all of our sweatshirts and extra blankets on the [window] sill to keep out the cold, and we turned the heater up all the way,” she said. “My roommate Alex and I were so cold that we were considering sleeping in the basement. I have circulation problems, especially in my hands and feet, and I was concerned about frostbite. We ended up sleeping in the room after the temperature inside rose a bit, but I slept with three pairs of socks and gloves on.”But Bowman said that, all in all, the College escaped the dangerous winter weather with minor heating and maintenance malfunctions. “Since the College decided to close, we were proactive in adjusting mechanical equipment to make sure nothing froze or broke,” he said. “Temporary heaters [were] available for student rooms through their resident adviser and hall director. We make these oil heaters available as a quick deploy option to provide heat in the room until maintenance can respond and fix the heating issue.”Even though classes were cancelled and most campus facilities were closed during the shutdown, students still had to venture outside and leave campus. While it was initially stated on the campus-wide email detailing the effects of the closing that Blinkie and Campus Safety would not be picking up students off campus or at Notre Dame, Phil Bambenek from Campus Safety said that they did provide some transportation for stranded students. “[Campus Safety] did provide limited transportation between the residence halls during the emergency and picked up students arriving back to campus in the parking lots,” he said. “Several students also missed the last Sweep bus of the night and were picked up at the Grotto. The intent of the plan was to encourage our community members to stay inside and safe, and was, on the whole, very successful.”While closing the College kept students, staff and faculty safe during the dangerous Polar Vortex weather, winter safety remains top priority for the entire winter. Davis said she still is frustrated with the lack of accessibility on campus in the winter. “The fact that I have to fight to be able to have access to buildings or rooms that most able-bodied students have access to is maddening,” she said. “I am a human being. I deserve to be treated equally and taken seriously.”Tags: accessibility, Polar Vortex, safety, Saint Mary’s security, winter weather
Metro Sport ReporterMonday 2 Dec 2019 2:59 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link4.6kShares Advertisement Comment Mourinho was named as Pochettino’s successor at Spurs (Picture: Getty)Fox Sports Argentina caught up with Pochettino to discuss his future and, while the ex-Tottenham boss is in no hurry to choose his next club, he’s ready to listen to any offers that come his way.‘There are a lot of clubs and attractive projects for me to take on but, for the time being, the most important thing is for me to clear my head after five-and-a-half incredible seasons with Tottenham,’ Pochettino said.‘My aim is to seek the ability to rebuild myself and get my self-motivation back.‘It is my intention to return to manage in Europe. It is hard for me to imagine a project in Argentina. However for the sake of my family, I would not refuse to work over here.‘But now I need to be calm for a few days and see what happens. I haven’t had a lot of time to digest what has happened with me.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘My first decision was to come back to Argentina, return to my home and see family and friends but I expect to return to Europe to make decisions on my future.‘My best decision was to come to Argentina to switch off for ten days.‘At my age I don’t need a lot of time to recover.‘I am open to listening to projects put before me.’ Jenas hopes Pochettino snubs the Gunners (Picture: Getty)Jermaine Jenas has urged Pochettino to snub Arsenal’s interest and hold out for Solskjaer to lose his job at Old Trafford.‘Arsenal is a huge football club and I’m sure the wages would be great for Mauricio,’ the former Tottenham midfielder told BT Sport.‘I put myself in his shoes though and would say his stock is far higher than that personally. I think the job he did at Tottenham puts him in another bracket.‘I think if I was Mauricio I’d be sat there going well I’ll have six months off to recuperate and rest as I have been working non-stop for six years. ‘AdvertisementAdvertisement‘Come the end of the season there’s a good chance that Manchester United might ring the phone, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid.’MORE: Liverpool are front runners to sign Jadon Sancho from Dortmund, according to former Premier League star Former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is open to managerial offers (Picture: Getty)Mauricio Pochettino has put Arsenal and Manchester United on alert by revealing that he’s open to all offers as he eyes a return to management in Europe.The 47-year-old was relieved of his duties at Tottenham after a dismal start to the campaign and Jose Mourinho was subsequently announced as his replacement in north London.Despite his very recent ties to Spurs, Pochettino is understood to be on Arsenal’s shortlist of managerial targets following Unai Emery’s dismissal last week.United have also held a long-term interest in Pochettino and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s struggles have seen the Argentine heavily linked once again.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTAt the weekend, Pochettino took a trip back home and paid Newell’s Old Boys a visit where he took his first steps as a professional footballer. Advertisement Mauricio Pochettino opens door for Arsenal approach in fresh statement on future
FA CUP HEARTBREAK During his four years at Chelsea Ranieri failed to win a trophy but came close when they reached the 2002 FA Cup final at the Millennium Stadium. Having beaten Fulham 1-0 in the semi-final Chelsea faced Arsenal looking to regain the cup they won in 2000. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was a major doubt with a calf injury and he was a passenger as Chelsea struggled to match the Gunners. Two goals in 10 minutes from Ray Parlour and Freddie Ljungberg gave Arsenal a deserved win. CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUALIFICATION After finishing sixth in 2001-02 the pressure was on Ranieri to deliver in 2002-03 and it came down to a final day shoot-out against Liverpool. Gerard Houllier’s side came to Stamford Bridge knowing a win would send them into the top four at Chelsea’s expense. Sami Hyppia gave Liverpool an 11th-minute lead but Marcel Desailly levelled almost immediately. Jesper Gronkjaer won it before Milan Baros had a goal disallowed and Steven Gerrard was sent off late on. Victory sent Chelsea into the Champions League for the first time and they have qualified every season since – although needed to rely on winning the competition to qualify in 2012 after finishing sixth in the Barclays Premier League. Press Association Claudio Ranieri faces Chelsea with Leicester on Monday, the first time he has come up against the Blues in English football since leaving Stamford Bridge in 2004. He earned the nickname ‘the Tinkerman’ while at the club for his rotation policy while also taking them into the Champions League for the first time. Between 2000 and 2004 Ranieri saw huge change at Chelsea and, here, Press Association Sport looks at the highs and lows of Ranieri’s four-year reign. ROMAN’S RICHES 2003-04 Roman Abramovich’s takeover in 2003 gave Ranieri unrivalled spending power and Chelsea flexed their financial muscles. Glen Johnson was the first to sign under Ranieri’s revolution as Damien Duff, Joe Cole, Wayne Bridge, Juan Sebastian Veron, Alexei Smertin, Hernan Crespo, Adrian Mutu and Claude Makelele followed. It was a new dawn at Stamford Bridge and time in English football as Abramovich ushered in the era of foreign ownership. Scott Parker was added to the squad in the January but only Makelele, Cole and Bridge can be labelled as total successes. Yet all the money could not stop Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’ beating Chelsea to the title by 11 points. CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AGONY As well as missing out on the title Chelsea came agonisingly close to reaching the Champions League final in 2004 after a 5-3 aggregate semi-final defeat to Monaco. Having beaten Arsenal in the quarter-final Ranieri was criticised after Chelsea lost the first leg 3-1 to 10-man Monaco as he made a series of strange substitutes, replacing Mario Melchiot with Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink then removing Scott Parker for Robert Huth. It unbalanced the side and they conceded two late goals from Fernando Morientes and Shabani Nonda to gift Monaco the advantage. A 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge sealed Chelsea’s fate, after Jesper Gronkjaer and Frank Lampard gave the Blues a 2-0 lead. Monaco were beaten by Jose Mourinho’s Porto in the final, Mourinho’s last game before he replaced Ranieri in west London in 2004. RUMOURS AND SPECULATION The writing was on the wall before Jose Mourinho swept into Stamford Bridge to succeed Ranieri and the Italian’s final year at the Bridge was blighted by speculation over his job once Roman Abramovich took charge. Sven-Goran Eriksson was heavily linked to Chelsea as soon as Abramovich bought the club in 2003 while Mourinho was touted as Ranieri’s replacement long before he was appointed. Ranieri earned praise for his poise during the speculation surrounding his job as he knew the writing was on the wall with the Italian telling the press “Hello my sharks, welcome to the funeral,” before the second leg against Monaco.
From Wednesday April 25, the pop-up channel will be available to GOtv customers on the GOtv Max and GOtv Plus packages, providing access to exclusive and rare archive footage of footballâ€™s best moments and matches on channel 36.General Manager, Sales and Marketing for MultiChoice Nigeria, Mr. Martin Mabutho, said: â€œThe FIFA World Cup pop-up channels yet again exemplify our commitment to providing the best sporting content. Our viewers will get the chance to relive classic matches, catch exclusive interviews and witness never before seen scenarios, all whilst preparing for our unbeatable coverage of the 2018 World Cup which comes complete with exclusive commentary and analyses.â€The pop-up channels on DStv and GOtv will also feature warm-up matches. Thereafter, all 64 World Cup matches of the 2018 FIFA World Cup will be available on all DStv packages as well as on the GOtv Max and Plus packages, while GOtv Value customers can view a total of 56 World Cup games.GOtv Lite customers are expected to also enjoy a select number of fixtures available on free-to-air channels.Leading the challenge for Africa will be Senegal, Nigeria, Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram As part of the countdown to the 2018 FIFA World Cup, SuperSport has launched a 24-hour pop-up channel dedicated to the tournament.This follows MultiChoiceâ€™s recent announcement of the History of Football pop-up channel to be launched on DStv in association with A+E Networks International on 28 May for DStv Premium, Compact+ and Compact customers with 14 days of original, globally-focused premium documentary series, short form specials and a selection of FIFA World Cup films.The latest World Cup dedicated pop-up channel, SuperSport 14 (SS14), will go live on all DStv packages on April 18, with an assortment of content, including great legacy footage, highlights, documentaries, FIFA films, classic matches and interviews.