Steve McClaren mindful of Liverpool threat to Newcastle’s fragile confidence

first_imgSteve McClaren has admitted Newcastle’s fragile confidence could be obliterated if they allow Liverpool to slip into top gear on Sunday. Press Association Jurgen Klopp’s men marched into the Capital One Cup semi-finals with a 6-1 demolition of Southampton on their own pitch in midweek, and head for St James’ Park having lost only once in 11 attempts under their new manager and with seven victories in their last eight games in all competitions. By contrast, the Magpies are in disarray once again after successive defeats in comprehensive fashion by Leicester and Crystal Palace sent them hurtling back into the Barclays Premier League drop zone, and McClaren is only too aware another drubbing by the Reds could shatter whatever confidence his players have managed to regain in the last week. center_img He said: “That is always a possibility. That’s why we have to make sure we are at our best individually. “It is a game which we know – and the players know – we’d better be at our best in terms of attitude, work-rate and all the nitty-gritty things to keep this Liverpool team at bay, because they are the form team in the Premier League at the moment. “What we have talked about a lot is, we have conceded 30 goals in 14 game and that’s not good enough. We came away from Bournemouth and that was two clean sheets and we thought we might have turned a corner. “But in the next two, we conceded eight. The frustrating thing about everything is the inconsistency. Consistency, when you haven’t got that, is as fragile as confidence.” Liverpool have lost on three of their last six visits to Tyneside, but their two victories during that spell have been handsome, a 5-1 drubbing in December 2008 and a 6-0 blitz in April 2013. last_img read more

Elijah Hughes receives NBA Draft Combine invite

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ But logistics about the draft combine remain in flux. Prospects were sent emails containing disclaimers stating that a date, location and format — as well as whether the actual combine will take place — haven’t been decided on yet, ESPN’s Jonathan Givony reported. “The purpose of this email is to notify you of your standing invitation to the Combine as the league office continues to monitor the pandemic and consult with infectious disease specialists, public health experts, and government officials,” an example email to prospects said, according to Zagoria.The NBA is currently attempting a restart of its suspended season, housing all players, coaches and essential staff in an Orlando bubble. Its draft was originally scheduled for June 25 but has been pushed back to Oct. 16, six weeks after the season resumes. Hughes announced his decision to enter the draft March 21 and declared his intention to remain in the draft and forego his senior season one month later.After transferring from East Carolina following the 2016-17 season, Hughes became the Orange’s offensive focal point last year. The first-team All-ACC replaced Tyus Battle as the primary scorer, leading the conference in total points (609), and has since been pegged as a second-round pick in recent mock drafts. Comments Former Syracuse forward Elijah Hughes has received an NBA Draft Combine invitation, according to Adam Zagoria. While the combine’s date, location and format all remain unknown, Hughes told Syracuse.com that the invite is “very exciting.” Hughes, who averaged an Atlantic Coast Conference-leading 19.0 points per game last season, was part of a 105-player list the NBA gave to general managers for combine-invite voting. The top 60 or 70 prospects traditionally receive a spot.center_img Published on July 27, 2020 at 3:12 pm Contact Andrew: [email protected] | @CraneAndrewlast_img read more