Jim Boeheim addresses his role in failing to follow Syracuse’s own drug policy

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 19, 2015 at 2:22 pm Contact Jacob: [email protected] | @Jacob_Klinger_ The NCAA cited Syracuse University for failing to follow its own drug policy. And while the NCAA doesn’t have its own policy and doesn’t force universities to have their own, it does require that they follow them if they have them.SU did not, allowing players to practice and play after one or more failed drug tests, contrary to the school’s policy, according to the NCAA report. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim was personally responsible for not calling parents after players failed drug tests, as SU’s policy stated he was supposed to, according to the NCAA report. On Thursday, Boeheim took responsibility for the violations but said he didn’t craft or administer the policy and that he didn’t know that not following the school’s own policy was equivalent to an NCAA violation.“I had one part,” he said when asked how he differentiated between administering the policy and failing to call parents. “I didn’t administer who played or who couldn’t play or who practiced or who couldn’t practice. The drug policy, and I took responsibility for that and I do now, no one knew that if you have a policy and you don’t follow it exactly step by step, it’s the same as violating an NCAA rule. No coach in the country would have known that.”Boeheim said not calling parents was a matter of trust. He said four players were one-time offenders that never tested positive again after he told them he would tell their parents the next time.The head coach also said there were some instances where calling parents would not have been helpful.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSU’s drug policy was implemented in 2000 and remained largely unchanged until 2009, according to the NCAA report. That original policy stated that first offenders would be ineligible until Boeheim spoke with their parents, second offenders would be removed from the team until a counselor told the team doctor the player was no longer using the substance and third offenders would ineligible and have their financial aid withdrawn at the end of the semester, according to the NCAA report.A 2004 amendment added a one-time grace period after the third offense and a 2008 change allowed Daryl Gross to intervene if he thought the grace period wasn’t long enough.Gross knew Boeheim wasn’t calling parents, Boeheim said. The SU head coach also said the positive tests were only for one substance. He pointed out that in daily compliance meetings he was never told about the strictness of the NCAA rules on team’s following their own drug policies.“To me the crucial part of the drug testing program is do you let someone practice or play when they shouldn’t have,” he said. “I never made that call. I was told what to do. If I’m told not to do something, that, a press conference, I don’t do it. Because I work for people.” Commentslast_img read more

Man Utd clear for Bruno Fernandes move as Jose pulls Spurs out of running

first_imgSPURS boss Jose Mourinho has ruled out a move for Sporting Lisbon star Bruno Fernandes.And that means the path is clear for Manchester United to make a big-money swoop in January.1 Jose Mourinho admits Spurs will not be making a move for Man Utd target Bruno FernandesCredit: EPAIt was reckoned Mourinho wanted to bring Fernandes to his new club this winter as a replacement for contract rebel Christian Eriksen.Fernandes, 25, scored an incredible 31 goals in all competitions last season.But despite being marked as one of the best potential buys of the summer, with Man City and Liverpool also linked, Fernandes ended up staying put in Portugal.He dealt suitors a huge blow last month by signing a new four-year deal with a whopping £85million release clause.However, fresh reports claim Sporting are still prepared to sell Fernandes.And they would even accept a bid of £60m despite his contracted exit fee.But Mourinho insists that Spurs can’t afford to do a deal for his compatriot.And the Special One’s former side Man Utd could now be in pole position to pull off a Prem deal for the Portuguese playmaker.Latest Man Utd newsLive Blogunited newsMan Utd news LIVE – Latest updates from Old TraffordMAN DOWNUtd and City face TWO-WEEK summer if they reach Euro finals before new Prem seasonDEPAY CHARTMan Utd flop Memphis used computer data and analytics to quit Old TraffordODS ON?Ighalo to leave Man Utd TOMORROW unless dramatic extension can be reachedPEA SHOOTERHernandez: Man Utd ‘still haunted’ by ‘mistake’ of Moyes replacing FergusonDEVIL’S ADVOCATEEx-Man Utd star Chadwick dreaded being picked for Keane’s team in trainingMourinho told Sport TV: “We are a different club at this level.“We are not a club that is going to make big transfers in the market, nor is it going towards players who are already developed or at a certain level of expectation, also economically.“I would definitely say no because Bruno is a player of a level and a value that is not for us.”Man United vs Tottenham FREE: Live stream, TV channel and kick-off time for Premier League clashlast_img read more