Organisation News Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet News October 15, 2020 Find out more RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago The Paris higher-level court today ordered Reporters Without Borders to pay 6,000 euros to Diane Diaz Lopez. “As she had demanded in excess of one million euros, we think this ruling is reasonable and that it assigns an appropriate degree of importance to the offence,” the organisation said. May 6, 2020 Find out more to go further Help by sharing this information News Reporters Without Borders voiced relief at being ordered today by a Paris court to pay only 6,000 euros to Diane Diaz Lopez, the heir of Cuban photographer Alberto “Korda” Diaz Gutierrez, for non-compliance with a court order of 9 July 2003 banning it from using Korda’s famous photograph of Ernesto “Che” Guevara in a beret.”As Ms. Diaz Lopez had demanded in excess of one million euros, we think this ruling is reasonable and that it assigns an appropriate degree of importance to the offence,” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said. “The sole aim of Ms. Diaz Lopez’s demands was to stifle our organisation, and the judge did not play along,” he added.The court said in its ruling that “the excessive demands made by the plaintiff appear clearly out of proportion with the established facts.”Reporters Without Borders pointed out that it has repeatedly been the target of hostility from the Cuban authorities since the arrest of 75 dissidents in March 2003. Reporters Without Borders activists were physically attacked during a demonstration outside the Cuban embassy in Paris in April 2003, the organisation was the target of a campaign of insults in the official press, and Cuba’s representatives called for the withdrawal of its consultative status with the United Nations. In today’s hearing, the Paris higher-level court was asked to rule on whether Reporters Without Borders had respected the 9 July 2003 ban on use of Korda’s photograph of Che and to determine what sum that the organisation had to pay Diaz Lopez. Korda, who is deceased, lived in Havana.Reporters Without Borders used Korda’s photograph of Che in a beret in June 2003 for a poster campaign drawing attention to press freedom violations in Cuba. The poster was based on the famous May 1968 poster showing a riot policeman with a baton in one hand and a shield in the other. Che’s face, taken from Korda’s photograph, was superimposed on the policemen’s face. The slogan for the campaign, which was to have run from 8 to 22 July, was: “Welcome to Cuba, the world’s biggest prison for journalists.”Diaz Lopez filed a lawsuit in Paris on 3 July 2003 calling for Reporters Without Borders to be banned from using the photograph. The Paris higher-level court issued a summary judgment on 9 July banning the organisation from “reproducing or disseminating (the disputed image) in whatsoever form,” and ordering the “removal and withdrawal of all products already existing.” The judge set a penalty payment of 200 euros for every confirmed failure to comply.Reporters Without Borders immediately withdraw the images from its website, and cancelled and stopped all dissemination of the 1,100 posters and 5,000 postcards that had been produced for the campaign. The organisation also issued a press release about the ban.Diaz Lopez’s subsequent court petition was prompted by the broadcast on 1 October 2003 of an interview with Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard on LCI television’s programme “Première séance” about the release of the film “Veronica Guerin.” During the interview, which took place at Reporters Without Borders headquarters, the Cuba campaign poster could be seen in the background on the wall of Ménard’s office.As a result of the broadcast, a court bailiff came to Reporters Without Borders headquarters on 12 December to see if the organisation still had copies of the poster, although the 9 July court order had only required the “removal and withdrawal” of the images, not their destruction.The bailiff found part of the stock of campaign posters and postcards, but not all of them because some had been thrown out. Diaz Lopez’s lawyer alleged that Reporters Without Borders showed bad faith by not only keeping the visuals but also continuing to disseminate them. Korda’s heir demanded 1,142,000 euros in penalty payment for non-compliance.A campaign to draw attention to a totalitarian regimeThe Reporters Without Borders poster campaign was targeted at the approximately 120,000 French tourists who chose Cuba as a holiday destination each year, lured by its sun, its beaches and the myth of a revolution by bearded guerrillas. The poster aimed to highlight how the Cuban revolution’s ideology, which still captivates many tourists, cloaks totalitarian practices and that the regime uses Che as an icon to legitimise repression. It was also meant to show that the myth that caught the imagination of an entire generation in the 1960s had turned into something that generation hated – a police state.The Cuban government launched a nationwide crackdown on dissent on 18 March 2003. A total of 75 dissidents were tried and sentenced to prison terms of up to 28 years for “undermining the state’s integrity and sovereignty” or its “independence.” They included 27 independent journalists who joined the four journalists who were already detained. Cuba thereby became the world’s biggest prison for journalists.The punishments for journalists who had challenged the state’s monopoly of news and information did not stop there. They were transferred to prisons hundreds of kilometres from their homes, their right to receive family visits was curtailed and they had to endure harsh prison conditions. Receive email alerts News RSF_en CubaAmericas March 10, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporters Without Borders ordered to pay 6,000 euros to Korda’s heir over use of Che photo New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council CubaAmericas Follow the news on Cuba October 12, 2018 Find out more
“We have been receiving reports that some LSIs (locally stranded individuals) are illegally entering some areas in the region through small boats and even cargo and other vehicles,” Eleazar said. The PNP official coordinated with Philippine Coast Guard Commandant Vice Admiral George Ursabia for the intensified conduct of patrols to prevent LSIs using boats and other seacraft to enter areas where there is suspension of repatriation. “We have to be very strict about this since what is at stake is the health of the people in those areas. There is a high possibility that these LSIs illegally entering the places where travel ban was implemented did not go through the proper medical check,” said Eleazar./PN MANILA – Philippine National Police (PNP) deputy chief for operations Lieutenant General Guillermo Eleazar has ordered all police commanders in Western Visayas to tighten the border security in the region. Eleazar also instructed police commanders manning both the quarantine control points and dedicated control points, and Coast Guard personnel to strictly check all the cargo vehicles and other vehicles at least before the boarding of ships bound for any part of the two regions for any illegal travelers. The return of LSIs to Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Cebu, and Mactan Islands was earlier suspended for 14 days based on the request of the local chief executives. The requests were approved by the National Task Force Against COVID-19 headed by Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana. “We have been receiving reports that some LSIs (locally stranded individuals) are illegally entering some areas in the region through small boats and even cargo and other vehicles,” says Lieutenant General Guillermo Eleazar, deputy chief for operations of the Philippine National Police. ABS-CBN NEWS Eleazar, also the commander of the Joint Task Force COVID Shield, added the tight security in Region 6 border will also be in effect in Eastern Visayas, Cebu and Mactan Islands.
â€œWe gave Rohr a free hand to pick whoever he feels capable of playing in the Super Eagles, so long as the player will respect and honour the nation when called upon,â€ Sanusi told AOIFootball.comThe NFF scribe also added his view to the recent report on the possibility of former Enyimba shot-stopper Vincent Enyeama’s return to the Eagles’ fold, saying itâ€™s a decision that lies solely with the team’s coaches.â€œI wonâ€™t say we are in support of his decision to bring back Enyeama, neither will I say we are against it; Rohrâ€™s decisions are final on this issue so he knows what is best for him and the team,â€ concludes the NFF scribe.Vincent Enyeama has been out of the national team since his last scuffle with former Eagles’ handler, Sunday Oliseh who stripped the Lille goalkeeper of the captain armband.However, following the unfortunate illness of current No 1 Carl Ikeme, speculations have filled football circles in the country that Enyeama was on his was back to Eagle to reclaim the Number One jersey to the World Cup in Russia.Though both Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa have kept faith with the team, the later was in-charge of Eagles last three outings- the double header against Cameroon and the clash with Zambia in Uyo.The FC IfeanyiUbah safe hands conceded just one goal in the one all draw in Yaounde and kept a clean slate in both matches in Uyo.Akpeyi on the other hand remains a suspect following his poor showing against South Africa in the AFCON 2019 Eagles lost 2-0 in Uyo. Dele Alampasu remains untested yet since his invitation to the senior national team.Enyeama however remains the most experienced shot stopper the Super Eagles might rely upon going into the World Cup next year.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Olawale Ajimotokan with agency reportThe Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has insisted that it was not going to impose players on the Technical Adviser of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, as the Franco-German gaffer starts searching for players to make impact at the World Cup in Russia next year.Nigeria is the first country in Africa to book her passage to the Russia 2018 Mundial even with a game to spare.Speaking in Abuja yesterday, General Secretary of the NFF, Dr Sanusi Mohammed insisted that allegations by some sections of the Nigeria media that the Glass House is trying to force some players on the coach are not true.â€œThe football house will not in any way interfere in Rohrâ€™s choice of players and goalkeepers for the national teams.
President Trump and @BrettFavre on the golf course today.Photo via the White House pic.twitter.com/vPBeSGDL5G— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) July 25, 2020Tucked inside criticism of Trump for golfing rather than working to end the COVID-19 pandemic were jokes and memes about Favre, a few of them NSFW. Twitter was not happy that Brett Favre played a round of golf with President Donald Trump on Saturday.The social crowd reacted after the Hall of Fame quarterback was photographed standing beside Trump on one of the greens at Trump National in Bedminster, N.J., both smiling into the camera. MORE: Favre has thoughts about how Packers should use Jordan LoveThere also was an “I had a Brett Favre joke” theme.I had a Brett Favre joke, but it got intercepted.— Sarcastic Corgi (@CorgiSarcastic) July 25, 2020I had a Brett Favre joke, but it grew old and tired and sad and desperate for relevance. https://t.co/8qThYCgZqK— Jo (@JoJoFromJerz) July 25, 2020I used to have a Brett Favre joke, but I retired it, brought it back, retired it again, brought it back again, retired it once more…— James Akers (@James_E_Akers) July 26, 2020I had a Brett Favre joke, but then it got replaced by a better one. pic.twitter.com/nWXXAZtPnb— Mamavalveeta03 (@mamavalveeta03) July 26, 2020I had a Brett Favre joke but it went away and then kept coming back. It was like a Michael Jordan joke I once heard.— Steven R (@psychdrsaroth) July 26, 2020I had a Brett Favre joke but it was too small to see— Jgood (@r8drjgood) July 26, 2020Favre has not commented on Twitter or Instagram.
On this extended on-line version of “Ask the Mayor” posted on January 29, 2020 — we sit down with Iowa Economic Development Authority and Iowa Finance Authority director Debi Durham to talk about the progress of the River City Renaissance project, which is receiving support from the IEDA’s Iowa Reinvestment Act program. Durham was the keynote speaker at the “State of North Iowa” event held on January 23rd at the Mason City Arena. Included in today’s extended program is audio from that event.