The first fatality from the novel coronavirus has been confirmed on US soil, as President Donald Trump on Saturday urged Americans not to panic.Health officials said the man who died in Washington state was one of a handful with no known links to global hot zones to have contracted the virus — indicating that the pathogen was now likely spreading in communities.The death occurred in King County, the most populous in the state and home to Seattle, a city of more than 700,000 people, officials told AFP. “Our country is prepared for any circumstance,” Trump insisted, calling on “the media and politicians and everybody else involved not to do anything to incite panic.”Trump identified the victim as “a wonderful woman,” but the CDC later said it had misinformed the president in an earlier briefing.Washington state also reported on Saturday the country’s first case of coronavirus in a health care worker and the first possible outbreak in a nursing home. This comes after the states of Oregon and California confirmed late last week the first instances of infected US patients who had not traveled overseas or come in contact with anyone known to be ill.”While there is still much to learn about the unfolding situations in California, Oregon and Washington, preliminary information raises the level of concern about the immediate threat for COVID-19 for certain communities in the United States,” the CDC said.- ‘We will see more cases’ -Trump said he would meet with leaders of big pharmaceutical groups at the White House on Monday to discuss treatments and efforts to develop a vaccine to combat the virus.The president said the number of cases detected by the US public health system now stood at 22. Combined with patients who were repatriated from abroad, the overall number of infected on US soil is now about 70.”We will see more cases,” Health Secretary Alex Azar told the White House press conference.”But it’s important to remember, for the vast majority of individuals who contract the novel coronavirus, they will experience mild to moderate symptoms.”Their treatment will be to remain at home and treat the symptoms as they would the flu, he added.The president and other officials also announced a more complete ban on travel from Iran, which has seen a rapid spread of the disease, and encouraged Americans to avoid travel to hard-hit areas in Italy and South Korea.Vice President Mike Pence, charged by Trump to lead efforts against the virus, said that an existing ban on travel from Iran had been expanded to include any foreign national who has visited the Islamic republic within the last 14 days.Trump also said the United States was ready to assist Iran with its coronavirus outbreak and that “all they have to do is ask.”An American citizen died of the new coronavirus in early February at the Chinese epicenter of the global outbreak, the city of Wuhan, the US embassy confirmed at the time.Worldwide, the virus has hit about 60 countries across the globe, with more than 2,900 people killed and over 85,000 infected since it was first detected at an animal market in Wuhan late last year.Topics : The victim was in his 50s and had “underlying health conditions,” said Jeff Duchin, public health officer for Seattle and King County.”It is a sad day in our state as we learn that a Washingtonian has died from COVID-19,” Washington state Governor Jay Inslee said in a statement, sending condolences to the victim’s loved ones.Inslee declared a state of emergency over coronavirus, freeing up funding for state agencies and allowing the use of the Washington National Guard, if necessary.Speaking at a White House news conference Trump said that “additional cases in the United States are likely,” but added that “healthy individuals should be able to fully recover.”
Earlier, Hamilton had penned an article for Britain’s Sunday Times newspaper in which he said he was launching his own diversity body to attract more black youngsters into motor racing, insisting the “time for token gestures is over”.Hamilton, a powerful and influential voice, said he was teaming up with Britain’s Royal Academy of Engineering to launch The Hamilton Commission.”I’ve been fighting the stigma of racism throughout my racing career — from kids throwing things at me while karting, to being taunted by fans in black face at a 2007 Grand Prix, one of my first Formula One races,” wrote Hamilton.”Despite my success in the sport, the institutional barriers that have kept F1 highly exclusive persist. “It is not enough to point to me, or to a single new black hire, as a meaningful example of progress. Thousands of people are employed across this industry and that group needs to be more representative of society.”The research partnership wants to encourage young black people to study science, technology, engineering and mathematics.Hamilton hopes that will then open up avenues to boost the number of minorities represented in Formula One.”The time for platitudes and token gestures is over,” he insisted. “I was proud to be out there acknowledging and supporting the Black Lives Matter movement, and my black heritage. “I was also happy to see so many white supporters out there in the name of equality for all. It was really moving. I’m feeling extremely positive that change will come, but we cannot stop now. Keep pushing.”Hamilton also posted a photograph of himself holding up a Black Lives Matter sign while his T-shirt slogan said: ‘Black is a vibe’.The six-time world champion also wore a yellow scarf around his face. Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton marched in the latest anti-racism protest in London on Sunday, describing the experience as “really moving”.The 35-year-old Hamilton, the only black driver in F1, joined the protests which have become common since the death of George Floyd in the United States last month.”Went down to Hyde Park today for the peaceful protest and I was so proud to see in person so many people of all races and backgrounds supporting this movement,” Hamilton wrote on Instagram. Topics :
“We continue to develop financing innovations to increase the poor’s access to housing,” the President said.The Scroll of Honor Award Ceremony in Surabaya was attended by representatives from Mexico and Colombia, who received this year’s award. Other awardees, namely Uganda, Malaysia and Nepal, chose not to attend the event due to the pandemic.The awards are given to acknowledge initiatives that have made outstanding contributions in the field of human settlements, the provision of housing and improvement of human settlements, among other categories.Surabaya was chosen to host the event in acknowledgement of the accomplishments of its mayor, Tri Rismaharini, who was given the award during the 2018 WHD commemoration in Nairobi.She was honored for implementing people-centered and inclusive city regeneration programs as well as developing initiatives that prioritize low-income residents.Topics : Livable housing is essential for every human being as it serves as “a fortress against various risks, including health risks like the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic”, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo said on Monday during a commemoration of World Habitat Day.The President expressed his appreciation to the United Nations for promoting the theme “Housing for All: A better Urban Future” for this year’s celebration, which falls annually on the first Monday of October. The virtual event brought together stakeholders on sustainable urbanization and settlement development. Indonesia’s second largest city of Surabaya in East Java received the honor of hosting the Scroll of Honor Award ceremony on Monday. In his speech, Jokowi said that Indonesia had put extra effort into providing livable houses for its poor citizens through various programs, including the so-called “one million houses program” launched in 2015 during his first term in office, as well as the recently introduced public housing savings program (Tapera).The first housing program aimed to reduce the country’s housing backlog from 7.6 million in 2015 to 5.4 million in 2019, especially for lower income families. In the three years since its launch, the program built 3.45 million housing units.Read also: Additional stimulus needed to boost property industry: AssociationTapera, meanwhile, aims to provide funds for first-time homebuyers with monthly salaries equal to or lower than the local minimum wage.
Top articles Read More Read More Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE PLAY Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling Read More Coming Next Skip Manchester United captain Harry Maguire by Metro Video Settings Tom OlverSaturday 11 Apr 2020 10:15 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link5.4kShares / 1/1 Read More Aaron Ramsey says he was starstruck by Cesc Fabregas, William Gallas and Kolo Toure when he joined Arsenal Ramsey left Arsenal to join Juventus last summer (Picture: Getty)‘Wenger was a massive pull. He would give youngsters opportunities, he talked me through how he saw my career path going, how he wanted to improve me and what I needed to improve on. ‘He brought me straight into the first-team to train every day with these world-class players and he believed in me.‘I just felt he really wanted and felt like he made the most effort to try and secure me.’ Aaron Ramsey with Arsene Wenger after joining Arsenal back in 2008 (Picture: Getty)Arsenal hero Aaron Ramsey has used the break from football to look back on when he joined the club as a precocious youngster back in 2008 and revealed how he had to ‘pinch himself’ sharing a dressing room with the likes of Cesc Fabregas, William Gallas and Kolo Toure. Ramsey had made just 22 first-team appearances for Cardiff at that time but Arsene Wenger had seen enough to convince him of the 17-year-old’s extraordinary potential and signed the Welshman for a fee of £4.8million ahead of the 2008/09 campaign. The midfielder would go on to become a fan favourite with the Gunners after 11 years of service, scoring 64 goals in 369 games, including two memorable winners in the 2014 and 2017 FA Cup finals.AdvertisementAdvertisementRead the latest updates: Coronavirus news liveADVERTISEMENT 1 min. story SPONSORED Skip Ad Read More Ramsey says he just couldn’t stop the tears from ‘pouring’ down his face as he delivered his emotional farewell speech to the Emirates crowd following Arsenal’s 1-1 draw with Brighton last May.‘I wasn’t prepared for that. I was just thinking I’m going to go out there, say my bit and I couldn’t control anything,’ he added.‘It was just pouring out. I spent 11 years there, I grew up there, I left Cardiff at 17, I’ve been married, had kids and been through so much on and off the pitch. ‘That club meant so much to me and always will.’Is Aaron Ramsey an Arsenal legend?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. AdvertisementAdvertisementFor more stories like this, check our sport page.MORE: Arsenal ignored advice from own recruitment chief to sign Shkodran MustafiMORE: Arsenal scout called Lucas Perez a ‘mid-table player’ before Arsene Wenger signed him for £17m Full Screen Aaron Ramsey shared a dressing room with the likes of Cesc Fabregas and William Gallas when he joined Arsenal (Picture: Getty)Though Ramsey opted to join Juventus last summer, it’s clear the Wales international has incredibly fond memories of his lengthy stay in north London and he reflected on his first few days at Arsenal during a candid Instagram Live with Niall Horan on Friday night.‘It happened so quickly at Cardiff. I played the final game of the season before and then had a pre-season, went off with first-team, we had a mad cup run where we got to the final and that was it then. It was done within the year,’ Ramsey explained.‘All my life I’ve been trying to achieve this thing of playing for Cardiff and then the next thing I know I’m walking into a dressing room with the likes of Fabregas, Gallas and Toure.‘I’m 17 years old, I’m just like, “What’s going on here?!”. I just felt out of place but they were really cool guys, made you feel really welcome but still you had to pinch yourself. About Connatix V67539 Comment Advertisement Advertisement
Loading… Read Also: 2022 W/Cup qualifiers: Super Eagles know opponents todayAdvertisement Super Eagles suffered a huge setback after the three-time AFCON champions’ official Instagram account was hacked ahead of the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers draw. The breach came as a huge surprise to the three-time African champions who have over 230,000 followers on the social media platform. Promoted ContentBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year8 Weird Facts About Coffee That Will Surprise YouYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeThe Best Cars Of All TimeWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better10 Of The Most Powerful Women Across The GlobeThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The World13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hoot7 Facts About Black Holes That Will Blow Your Mind Tuesday’s setback saw all of the Super Eagles’ content deleted and replaced with images from an unknown stylist and influencer reportedly based in Istanbul, Turkey. Ahead of Tuesday’s draw in Cairo, Nigeria are seeded in Pot 1 alongside some of the continent’s heavyweights and will be praying for a favourable draw as they eye their seventh World Cup appearance in Qatar 2022. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
BROOKVILLE — The mothers of two students in the Life Skills class at Franklin County High School are voicing concern about what is happening in the classroom.According to the Franklin County Observer, the parents attended a recent school board meeting requesting action from school officials. The mothers said their children have been acting different in regards to school, while not being able to communicate what is exactly going on.They asked the school board to get someone in the classroom who can observe how the students are being treated. They also requested a different classroom environment and a promise that their children’s education plan will stay on track.The parents also threatened to move their children to a different school system and one mother said she has considered taking legal action.Assistant Superintendent Tammy Chavis said school officials will look into the matter.
MILAN, Ind. — The Indiana State Board of accounts recently audited the Town of Milan’s finances after a former official failed to deposit utility payments and pay the town’s taxes and bills.The board issued a 13 page report after a special investigation where the board looked at the town’s finances between February 1, 2013 and March 21, 2014.Dale Holdbert was serving as the town’s Clerk-Treasurer.The report explains that Holdbert did not depots over $2,000 in utility payments and $200 in customer deposits. The town was also charged just under $6,000 in penalties, interest, and other charges for payroll withholding, sales taxes, and employment tax, not sent on time.The investigation also found that Holdbert made adjustments to customer utility accounts without documenting why the changes were made.After the investigation was complete, the report was sent to the Indiana Attorney General’s Office and the Ripley County Prosecutors Office to determine if criminal charges are warranted.No charges have been filed at this time.
I guess being a graduate of Northwestern University doesn’t mean you are smart enough to manage a major league baseball team. Joe Girardi found this out last week when Brian Cashman fired him. During Joe’s 10-year tenure, the Yankees were 200 games above 500. I doubt if you could find too many others with that kind of record.In today’s sports world it is either win big or we find somebody else. Girardi lasted 10 years because he did win big a couple of times, but he didn’t do it year after year. It is much easier to fire one manager than it is to get rid of 25 ball players.It will be interesting to see who gets to be his successor.
Gregory Bernard Stith, age 63 of Florence, Kentucky passed away on Saturday, November 10, 2018. The son of Bernard Rex Stith and Twila Mae (nee: Ertel) Stith was born on October 26, 1955 in Batesville, Indiana. Gregory graduated from East Central High School in 1974 and Indiana University, Bloomington in 1978.He liked Harley Davidson Motorcycles and was co-proprietor of Thoroughbred Harley-Davidson in Florence, KY and Harley-Davidson of Cincinnati. He was a big fan of IU basketball but did not care for UK. Gregory enjoyed most sports but especially enjoyed discussing the updates about the Louisville Cardinals and Cincinnati Bengals team news. He loved taking the grandchildren fishing and most of all, he enjoyed spending time with family and his grandchildren. He will be deeply missed.He is survived by his parents Bernard and Twila Stith; his children Tony (Brigitte) Stith of Mt. Washington, KY, Joe (Amy) Stith of Chicago, IL; grandchildren, Sophia, Gavin, Brayden, Tat, and one on the way Aiden; along with his sister Kimberly Ann Zimmerman of Sunman, IN; and Tony and Joe’s mother, Geralyn Brooks. Visitation will be Thursday, November 15th from 10am -2pm with a 2:00pm funeral blessing immediately following at Meyers Funeral Home in Batesville, Indiana. Burial to follow in the St. Nicholas Catholic Cemetery in Sunman. Memorials may be given to the “Heritage Project” at St. Nicholas School c/o the funeral home. Online condolences at www.meyersfuneralhomes.com
RelatedPosts Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk Anthony Joshua, Okolie plot world title double Anthony Joshua wants Tyson Fury, Wilder fight President Muhammadu Buhari has thumbed up for World Heavyweight Boxing Champion, Anthony Joshua, for regaining his belts on Saturday night in a rematch with Mexican, Andy Ruiz Jnr.The President, in a congratulatory message by his spokesman, Femi Adesina in Abuja on Sunday, rejoiced with Joshua, saluting him for bringing joy to millions of Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora.He noted that Joshua’s supporters across the world had rooted for him to regain the titles he lost about six months ago.“The downfall of a man is truly not the end of his life. There’s always another, and better day. This is a lesson we must all learn from you as a country,” Buhari told the comeback world champion.He wished Anthony Joshua well “as he seeks to bring more glory to Nigeria and to the boxing profession”.The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Joshua beat Andy Ruiz Jr on a unanimous points decision in Saudi Arabia to seize back the heavyweight world championship belts he lost to his Mexican-American opponent in a shock upset last June.The ‘Clash on the Dunes’ in Diriyah was for the IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO titles, and judges scored the fight 118-110, 118-110 and 119-109 to the 30-year-old Briton.Tags: Andy Ruiz JrAnthony Joshua