In Santiago, Chile’s capital, the stadium of Bicentenary saw an interesting world record on May 23. A football match was played that saw the most participants ever – a total of 2,356 players.AP Photo/Esteban Felix In a 90-hour football match, the average distance covered per-game by a footballer is 12 km. Here on the other hand, the entire stadium was taken over by players for 5 days and 120 hours of total game-play.This means, that figuratively, as many as 80 matches were played in just one match.The final score, in case you’re wondering, was 505 to 504 (close right?). No, the match didn’t go into penalties.AP Photo/Esteban Felix Recorded by Guinness World Record adjudicator, Evelyn Carrera, the match was nothing short of a spectacle, breaking the previous record of a 105-hour-long match set last year in Scotland.Each player on the field played for an hour and the participants were a combination of both regular and professional players.Screenshot: Reuters Video Before the kick-off of this epic football match, goalkeeper Cristopher Toselli of the Chile national team said, “It’s many hours, over many days, evidently, but for the regular players, there is plenty of motivation to come out to be able to share in this with professional players.”Screenshot: Reuters Video Alvaro Valenzuela, a Chilean engineer who also participated in the game said, “It’s a really great experience.””It’s extremely enriching, for me at least, as I practically don’t play sports. It’s a unique experience, valuable, and I would like it if there were more initiatives like this one,” he said.advertisementThe amateur players who applied online to take part in the record match were exhilarated to play alongside many Chilean professional footballers.AP Photo/Esteban Felix
The reigning European Champs were put through their paces in the finals series before securing both the Men’s and Women’s Open titles against Wales.The English Women’s Open team with 2007 World Cup Women’s Open MVP – Melanie Carsons, at the helm as player/coach, built their campaign on rock-solid defence as they swept a clean path through the opposition in the rounds. The English Men’s Open team also finished the rounds ranked number one in defence, and thus set the scene for the ‘Lions’ to hold their mantle as king of the hill in the European Touch community. England would not have it all their own way however, and in the Mixed Open division, it was 2011 World Cup hosts, Scotland, that rose to the top with a high scoring 12 – 9 victory over the reigning champs, preventing another clean-sweep. England were too good for Scotland in the Men’s 30’s division (6 – 3), whilst Wales prevailed over the Scots 6 – 4 in the Men’s 35’s, and Ireland outclassed France 9 – 3 in the Men’s 40’s category.After dominating all before them in the rounds, Sydney Rebels and the NZ Academy fought out a gritty encounter. NZ Academy just edged out Sydney Rebels 4 – 3 in the Mixed Open – Rest of the World Final in which Wagga Wagga’s Luke McKenzie was appointed as a referee to the final. In all, forty-five teams attended the event including teams from Belgium, England, France, Germany, Guernsey, Ireland, Italy, Jersey, Netherlands, New Zealand, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland, Australia, and Wales.Men’s Open ResultsGold Medal Game: England (5) defeated Wales (4)Bronze Medal Game: France (9) defeated Scotland (1)Rest of the World Final: Colonials (9) defeated Netherlands (4)Women’s Open ResultsGold Medal Game: England (3) defeated Scotland (2) Bronze Medal Game: Scotland (2) defeated Germany (1)Mixed Open ResultsGold Medal Game: Scotland (12) defeated England (9) Bronze Medal Game: Wales (7) defeated France (5)Rest of the World Final: NZ Academy (4) defeated Sydney Rebels (3)Men’s 30’s ResultsGold Medal Game: England (6) defeated Scotland (3)Bronze Medal Game: Wales (6) defeated France (3)Men’s Masters (35’s) ResultGold Medal Game: Wales (6) defeated Scotland (4)Men’s Veterans (40’s) ResultGold Medal Game: Ireland (9) defeated France (3)Full scores can be found on the official European Champs website – http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=14-5205-0-0-0&a=COMPS Thanks to the Federation of International Touch website for providing the article content.
Everton chief Moshiri adamant new stadium will be builtby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveEverton chief Farhad Moshiri is determined for their new stadium to be built.Planning permission is set to be submitted in the second half of this year, with the first ‘spade in the ground’ anticipated in early 2020.After a number of false dawns over previous projects Moshiri is adamant the stadium will be built.”It has nothing to do with my vision, it is a necessity. That must be understood – we don’t have a choice, we don’t have a Plan B or a Plan C,” he said at their AGM.”Very much like Arsenal and Tottenham that had to build a stadium – they were not given stadiums like West Ham or Manchester City.”We have a lot of experience so I think we will complete this stadium, be sure that will happen. And I will throw as much money as needed.”Private markets will provide £350m, naming rights will give us some more and we maybe have an equity gap of £100m.”I think this club, under the management of Marcel and leadership of Denise (Barrett-Baxendale, the club’s chief executive) is sufficiently robust to see the project through. It is no luxury, we have to get it done.”If we want to have a big club we need a modern stadium and we will get it.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Twitter/@NickJuskewycz There were plenty of interesting possible upsets on the college football slate today, but we didn’t tab Jacksonville State over Auburn as one of them. However, the Gamecocks, who went 10-2 in FCS play last year, are half way to a stunning win at Jordan-Hare Stadium. They lead the Tigers 10-6 at halftime.Auburn and Jacksonville State traded field goals early on, but the Gamecocks’ quarterback Eli Jenkins threw an impressive touchdown pass to Josh Barge to take the lead in the second quarter.Jacksonville State currently leads 6th ranked #Auburn 10-6, late in the second quarter. #JSUvsAUB pic.twitter.com/B50kBpQDXD— CFB Nation (@UofCFB) September 12, 2015There is plenty of time life, but Auburn fans have to be concerned with how the team has come out against what should be an overmatched opponent.
Will SmithA surveillance video from a New Orleans’ restaurant appears to show Will Smith in a possible hit-and-run with his alleged killer before the former Ohio State star’s death on Saturday night. Smith, 34, was shot to death in the Lower Garden District of the city. It had been reported that Smith was involved in a road-rage incident that led to him getting shot multiple times. A man has been arrested for the killing. The video shows a Mercedes SUV bumping the rear end of a Hummer near the intersection of Magazine Street and St. Andrew Street, a location about two blocks from where Cardell Hayes allegedly killed Smith. Smith was driving a Mercedes G63 SUV on Saturday night, while Hayes was driving a Hummer H2.Here’s the video. Hayes’ attorney said his client was involved in a hit-and-run. “Someone hit him,” John Fuller said. “The person failed to pull over. My client trailed behind this person in an effort to get their license plate number. My client also called 911.”Hayes was arrested on Sunday on a second-degree murder charge.
APTN National NewsAPTN’s Iman Kassam has a quick profile of the candidates of the Northwest Territories federal riding.Well, two of the main three, at least.One candidate wanted nothing to do with the story.
The Business of Tech is a weekly, ‘byte’-sized look into some of the top business stories in the world of technology, hosted by 660’s Jonathan Muma.S1E15: This week, Jonathan speaks with Mobile Syrup Senior Editor Patrick O’Rourke about the future of ‘loot crates’ in gaming after the fallout from their implementation into Star Wars Battlefront 2. He also talks with Colin Robertson of Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Got Game about the future of laptop gaming.Audio Playerhttps://www.660news.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/8/2017/11/28/business-of-tech-nov-24-s1e15.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.
CALGARY – The potential dismantling of NAFTA is a concern because of its impact on the overall North American economy, but its direct effect on Canadian Pacific Railway (TSX:CP) would be limited, CEO Keith Creel said Thursday.Transportation analysts have identified the end of the North American Free Trade Agreement, as sometimes threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump, as one of the biggest risks to Canadian railways this year. Negotiations to modernize the deal start again next week in Montreal.“We’re paying attention to it but, at a micro level, our direct commodity exposure is fairly modest,” Creel said on a conference call with analysts after reporting fourth-quarter financial results that slightly beat analyst expectations.“Thirty per cent of our business is cross-border, but this number overstates our true exposure,” said Creel. “Our cross-border is primarily agricultural products — stuff like grain, potash, fertilizers, chemicals … The reality is the U.S. relies heavily on these raw materials that we’re shipping south to support the overall economy.”St. Louis-based analyst Dan Sherman of Edward Jones said he agrees with Creel.“We need the wood, we need the potash. Those things are important for us,” Sherman said. “So we’re probably going to continue to buy it from Canada, and if there’s a slightly larger tariff, that’s going to make hardly any difference.”Analyst Kevin Chiang of CIBC World Markets said in a report earlier this month that a U.S. government move to disband the continental free trade agreement could cause a similar reaction to the immediate 10 per cent drop in market values in the aftermath of the Brexit vote in the United Kingdom.CP Rail said Thursday that fourth-quarter revenue grew by five per cent to $1.71 billion from $1.64 billion in the same period a year ago, aided by enhanced service offerings and strategic partnerships with customers.It said net income rose to $984 million in the last three months of the year from $384 million a year earlier. That was mainly due to a non-cash provision of $527 million to account for deferred income tax recoveries from U.S. tax reforms enacted in December, which more than made up for tax increases by the Saskatchewan and B.C. governments.Freight revenue from metals, minerals, and consumer products grew 30 per cent, while energy, chemicals and plastics jumped 20 per cent.Chief marketing officer John Brooks said on the call he expects 2018 revenue growth in “the mid-single digits” and adjusted earnings per share growth in the low double-digits, thanks to strong global potash demand, a large Canadian grain crop and steady coal shipments.Sherman said he’s also bullish on CP Rail’s prospects, noting it has more capacity to grow than its competitors.CP Rail says its operating ratio, a measure of operating expenses as a percentage of revenues, fell slightly to 56.1 per cent in the fourth quarter from 56.2 per cent in the year-earlier period. It was 57.4 per cent for 2017, down from 58.6 in 2016.For the year, revenue was $6.55 billion in 2017, compared with $6.23 billion in 2016.Follow @HealingSlowly on Twitter.
NEW YORK, N.Y. – New York City’s buildings regulator launched investigations at more than a dozen Kushner Cos. properties Wednesday following an Associated Press report that the real estate developer routinely filed false paperwork claiming it had zero rent-regulated tenants in its buildings across the city.The Department of Buildings is investigating possible “illegal activity” involving applications that sought permission to begin construction work at 13 of the developer’s buildings, according to public records maintained by the regulator. The AP reported Sunday that Kushner Cos. stated in more than 80 permit applications that it had zero rent-regulated tenants in its buildings when it, in fact, had hundreds.The false filings were made while Kushner Cos. was run by Jared Kushner, now senior adviser to his father-in-law, President Donald Trump. The false filings were all signed by a Kushner employee, sometimes by its chief operating officer. None were signed by Jared Kushner himself.The false documents allowed the Kushner Cos. to escape extra scrutiny during construction at 34 of its buildings, many which showed a sharp decline in rent-regulated units following the work. Housing Rights Initiative, a watchdog group that uncovered the false filings, says that made it easier for the Kushner Cos. to harass the low-paying, rent-regulated tenants so they would leave, freeing up apartments for higher-paying tenants.The Kushner Cos. said Wednesday that it is the victim of “politically motivated attacks.” It said it values and respects its tenants and operates under “the highest legal and ethical standards.”In earlier statements the company said it outsourced preparation of its permit applications to third parties, and described the wrong information as “mistakes or typographical errors.” It also said it corrected mistakes as soon as it spotted them.The buildings department confirmed on Wednesday that its building marshal’s office had launched investigations into possible false paperwork.“Our building marshal is a key part of our Tenant Harassment Task Force,” spokesman Joseph Soldevere said. “And when they inspect a building they look into everything from the roof to the cellar to find illegal construction, and that’s what they are doing.”The agency has disciplined a contractor involved in false filings at two Kushner buildings, he said.The Kushners Cos. filed more than one permit application at many of the buildings under investigation. At least 10 of the 29 applications under investigation were filed by prior owners.On Monday, the city council launched a joint investigation with Housing Rights Initiative into the false filings.The heads of the joint investigations, Councilman Ritchie Torres, a Democrat, and Housing Rights Initiative founder Aaron Carr, said in a statement that they were encouraged by the buildings department probe, but that more needed to be done.“The predatory practices of Kushner Companies is symptomatic of a systemic failure in DOB enforcement,” it said.
HALIFAX – DHX Media Ltd.’s shares closed up more than 10 per cent Tuesday after it announced a deal with a division of Global Brands Group to boost distribution and sales of its Peanuts brand in China and elsewhere in Asia as the final step of its strategic review.The children’s entertainment company said late Monday it has also suspended its quarterly dividend, cut staff, and streamlined operations as part of the review it started in late 2017 as the company struggled with debt and poor financial results.Halifax-based DHX said the dividend cut will free up $10 million a year while operational changes will save about $11 million a year that it can put towards debt and future content.The news helped send the company’s share price to as high as $1.76 before closing up 14 cents or 10.3 per cent at $1.50 on the Toronto Stock Exchange. The company’s stock plunged by a third to $1.13 in mid-September to a six-year low after a weaker-than-expected preview of its fourth-quarter results.Going forward, the company will focus on its WildBrain business to capitalize on the rising popularity of YouTube for children, and on using its stable of shows and characters to produce premium original content for major streaming services.“We are well-positioned to enter our next stage of growth, focused on what we identified during the strategic review as the two largest opportunities for kids’ and family content,” said executive chairman Michael Donovan in a statement.The five-year agreement with Global Brands Group subsidiary CAA Global Brand Management Group LLP will see the firm work to increase Peanuts’ presence in Asia by extending the brand’s reach across multiple licensing categories.DHX said China and Asia hold the potential for significant growth of the Peanuts brand. The company said it expects a 35 per cent increase in revenues for the brand in the region over the length of the deal.The company sold a 39-per-cent stake in the Peanuts entertainment business to a Sony Corp. division for US$178 million in May, having bought 80 per cent of the business for US$345 million a year earlier.The strategic review also saw the company appoint a new leadership team including a new chief executive, chief financial officer, operating officer and commercial officer, cut its footprint by 3,150 square metres, and bring some Peanuts agency representation in-house.The completion of the strategic review came as DHX reported a loss attributable to shareholders of $14.1 million or 10 cents per share on $434.4 million in revenue for the financial year ended June 30. That compared with a loss of $3.6 million or three cents per share on $298.7 million in revenue for the previous year.Companies in this story: (TSX:DHX)