10 months agoEverton chief Moshiri adamant new stadium will be built

first_imgEverton chief Moshiri adamant new stadium will be builtby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveEverton chief Farhad Moshiri is determined for their new stadium to be built.Planning permission is set to be submitted in the second half of this year, with the first ‘spade in the ground’ anticipated in early 2020.After a number of false dawns over previous projects Moshiri is adamant the stadium will be built.”It has nothing to do with my vision, it is a necessity. That must be understood – we don’t have a choice, we don’t have a Plan B or a Plan C,” he said at their AGM.”Very much like Arsenal and Tottenham that had to build a stadium – they were not given stadiums like West Ham or Manchester City.”We have a lot of experience so I think we will complete this stadium, be sure that will happen. And I will throw as much money as needed.”Private markets will provide £350m, naming rights will give us some more and we maybe have an equity gap of £100m.”I think this club, under the management of Marcel and leadership of Denise (Barrett-Baxendale, the club’s chief executive) is sufficiently robust to see the project through. It is no luxury, we have to get it done.”If we want to have a big club we need a modern stadium and we will get it.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

FCS Jacksonville State Leads Auburn At The Half

first_imgjJcksonville State's Jenkins seen in game against Auburn.Twitter/@NickJuskewycz There were plenty of interesting possible upsets on the college football slate today, but we didn’t tab Jacksonville State over Auburn as one of them. However, the Gamecocks, who went 10-2 in FCS play last year, are half way to a stunning win at Jordan-Hare Stadium. They lead the Tigers 10-6 at halftime.Auburn and Jacksonville State traded field goals early on, but the Gamecocks’ quarterback Eli Jenkins threw an impressive touchdown pass to Josh Barge to take the lead in the second quarter.Jacksonville State currently leads 6th ranked #Auburn 10-6, late in the second quarter. #JSUvsAUB pic.twitter.com/B50kBpQDXD— CFB Nation (@UofCFB) September 12, 2015There is plenty of time life, but Auburn fans have to be concerned with how the team has come out against what should be an overmatched opponent.last_img read more

Update Bow Jubail Moved to Rotterdam Yard for Repairs

first_imgzoomImage Courtesy: Kustwacht Nederland The chemical tanker Bow Jubail has been moved to the yard in the Port of Rotterdam following the collision with a jetty, Odfjell said. A class surveyor has attended the vessel for survey, and repairs will be conducted accordingly, the ship’s operator added.As informed, work is estimated to take about one week.To remind, some 217 tons of heavy fuel oil (HFO) were spilled at the port after Bow Jubail made contact with the jetty and ruptured the hull on June 23. At the time of the incident, the 37,500 dwt ship was not loaded with cargo and there were no injuries reported.By June 26, authorities in Rotterdam managed to recover some 150 tons of the oil spilled. The cleanup efforts are continuing and are expected to take at least several weeks, according to the Port of Rotterdam Authority.Daily inspections are made throughout the affected area, together with representatives from the harbor masters and other stakeholders. The inspections form the basis for further cleaning, as explained by Odfjell.What is more, HEBO, a specialist in controlling oil and chemical spills contracted to assist in cleanup efforts, has now supplied with extra resources to speed up the process further.“In cooperation with Gard, HEBO, the Port of Rotterdam and other experts, we are doing our utmost to avoid further interruption to the affected terminals. Until the waterways are fully cleared for traffic, intermediate solutions will be sought to mitigate the consequences for the industries in the area,” the company further said.Odfjell, together with relevant authorities, is currently investigating the cause of the incident: “As part of Odfjell’s cooperation with the external authorities to establish the relevant facts, our Incident Investigation Team is currently conducting a thorough inspection which in due time will determine the root cause. This team also includes independent external expertise.”last_img read more

Indigenous group says Trans Mountain bid could be ready next week

first_imgThe Canadian PressAn Indigenous-led group says it will soon be ready to make a bid for majority ownership of the controversial Trans Mountain pipeline currently owned by the federal government.The group, called Project Reconciliation, says it will be prepared as early as next week to talk with Ottawa about its proposal for a 51 per cent stake in the pipeline.Project Reconciliation says the bid will be underwritten by contracts with pipeline customers and not rely on taxpayers.The group says almost 340 Indigenous communities across B.C., Alberta, and Saskatchewan could choose to share ownership of the pipeline, which is designed to ship crude oil from the oilsands to the West Coast.“There’s real momentum towards Indigenous ownership,” said Delbert Wapass, founder and executive chair of Project Reconciliation in a statement.“It’s exciting to see support is growing in governments and among Indigenous people. There is a pipeline to reconciliation and we should take it.”Project ReconciliationProject Reconciliation says it plans to set aside 80 per cent of future proceeds from the pipeline into a type of sovereign wealth fund to ensure longer-term benefits for Indigenous communities in Western Canada.A separate Indigenous-led group called the Iron Coalition is looking to secure ownership of the pipeline for First Nations and Metis communities in Alberta. The group says it would distribute proceeds to member communities based on ownership share and population.The government says it is open to Indigenous ownership of the project and will host discussions in Vancouver, Victoria, Edmonton and Kamloops, B.C. later this month with Indigenous groups to further discussions on potential participation in the economic development of the project.Ottawa reapproved the pipeline last month after its initial go-ahead was quashed by the Federal Court of Appeal over incomplete Indigenous consultations and a faulty environmental review. The government bought the pipeline for $4.5 billion last year in an effort to keep the expansion project alive.The project has support from some Indigenous groups along the route, but faces intense opposition from others, especially on the coast.In May, the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs warned First Nations in an open letter that they should reconsider investing in the pipeline because it faces many hurdles, including Indigenous land claims, and it is unlikely to be as profitable as the government says.Chief Leah George-Wilson of the Tsleil-Waututh First Nation said after the most recent approval that it will appeal Ottawa’s decision to the Federal Court of Appeal.last_img read more

Australia telecom giant Telstra to axe 8000 jobs

first_img © 2018 AFP Australia’s dominant telecommunications company Telstra Wednesday announced plans to axe 8,000 jobs—a quarter of its workforce—as part of a drastic new strategy to cope with an increasingly competitive industry. Telstra strikes $10B deal for Australia broadband Explore further Telstra employs 32,000 people across 20 countries, according to its most recent annual report telecommunications company Telstra reported a 36.6 percent jump in annual profit as it vowed to invest billions in boosting its network after customer frustrations over numerous outages.center_img This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Citation: Australia telecom giant Telstra to axe 8,000 jobs (2018, June 20) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-06-australian-telecom-giant-telstra-axe.html The decision by the company, one of Australia’s largest employers, is part of a shake-up targeting an extra Aus$1 billion (US$750 million) in cost-cutting by 2022, on top of Aus$1.5 billion previously announced.It will also split its mobile and infrastructure divisions into separate businesses.”In the future our workforce will be a smaller, knowledge-based one with a structure and way of working that is agile enough to deal with rapid change,” said chief executive Andrew Penn.”This means that some roles will no longer be required, some will change and there will also be new ones created.”The cuts come less than a month after Telstra said its 2017/18 earnings will likely be at the bottom of its guidance range of Aus$10.1 billion to Aus$10.6 billion, blaming increasing competition in mobile and fixed broadband.That warning sent its shares tumbling to a more-than six-year low of Aus$2.71. They had partially recovered since, but took another hit on Wednesday, closing 4.81 percent lower to Aus$2.77.CMC Markets chief market analyst Michael McCarthy said the restructuring plan may not be enough to please investors, who have watched Telstra’s share price almost halve in the past year.”Some investors think the Telstra patient needs radical surgery, and could view today’s measures as band-aids,” he said.Telstra employs 32,000 people across 20 countries, according to its most recent annual report. Of the jobs to go, one in four will be executive and middle management roles.Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called the announcement “heartbreaking” for the workers, but said he was confident most would find other jobs.”While one company reduces its workforce, there are other companies and new companies, including other telecommunication companies, creating new opportunities and jobs,” he said.Tipping pointPenn said the company had to take action to stay on top in a highly competitive market where technology was evolving quickly.”In this environment traditional companies that do not respond are most at risk. “We have worked hard preparing Telstra for this market dynamic while ensuring we did not act precipitously. However, we are now at a tipping point where we must act more boldly if we are to continue to be the nation’s leading telecommunications company.”Telstra has a range of businesses including fixed broadband, mobile, data and IP, network application services and digital media.Part of its new strategy will see it create a wholly-owned standalone infrastructure business unit from July 1.Called Telstra InfraCo, it will comprise the firm’s fixed-network infrastructure including data centres, non-mobiles related domestic fibre, international subsea cables, exchanges, poles, ducts and pipes. Its services will be sold to Telstra, wholesale customers and Australia’s National Broadband Network, controlling assets with a book value of about Aus$11 billion.”As technology innovation is increasingly relying on connectivity, the role of telecommunications infrastructure is becoming more important,” said Penn. “There is virtually no technological innovation happening today that does not rely on a high-quality, reliable, safe and secure telecommunications network. “In this world our infrastructure assets are becoming more valuable. By creating a new infrastructure-focused business unit we will better optimise and manage these assets.”Telstra also intends to “monetise assets of up to Aus$2 billion over the next two years to strengthen the balance sheet”, and has set aside Aus$600 million in restructuring costs.last_img read more

Modi highlights virtues of a stable govt

first_imgSHARE SHARE EMAIL politics BJP SHARE January 30, 2019 COMMENT COMMENTS Published on “Looks like they have learnt a lesson after trying to steal people’s mandate in Goa, Bihar, Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Karnataka. A day before the last session of the 16th Lok Sabha, Prime Minister Narendra Modi turned up the political temperature, recalling the virtues of electing a stable government, prompting Congress leader Ahmed Patel to ask if he (Modi) will sit in the Opposition if the BJP fails to secure the majority mark of 272 seats in the general elections.Addressing a gathering in Surat on Wednesday, Modi said the nation had suffered from the “disease” of instability under coalition governments for 30 years, before it elected a stable government with a full majority in 2014. Unstable governments were cobbled up as rag-tag formations. “Under a hung Parliament and coalition government, progress was hampered and the country even slipped backwards.”“But a stable government can take strong decisions. It is accountable and responsible. A coalition government shirks the responsibility, under the alibi that a coalition government cannot take decisions. In 2014, you elected a stable government with full majority. After four-and-a-half years, anyone can ask me about my government’s achievements.” He also recounted the virtue of demonetisation, saying it had wiped out black money from the real estate sector and made the poor and the middle class fulfil their dreams of buying their own houses. The previous governments had constructed only 25 lakh houses in decades, while the Modi government has constructed 1.30 crore houses for these people since 2014.In a series of tweets, Ahmed Patel, a Rajya Sabha MP from Gujarat, said: “If the Prime Minister thinks that coalition governments do not function properly, why doesn’t the BJP exit from the State governments of Maharashtra, Bihar and Goa?”“By saying that he can’t function in a coalition government, has the PM confirmed that if the BJP gets less than 272 seats, it will sit in (the) Opposition?” he said.“Looks like they have learnt a lesson after trying to steal people’s mandate in Goa, Bihar, Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Karnataka. ,” Patel tweeted.The PM flew to Surat and launched several development projects.last_img read more