Fall in Australian coal prices raises concerns about economics of Adani’s proposed Carmichael mine

first_imgFall in Australian coal prices raises concerns about economics of Adani’s proposed Carmichael mine FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:A crash in Australian thermal coal prices is raising fresh questions about the viability of a controversial $4 billion coal mine just a week ahead of a national election in which climate change is a key issue.Final approval of the Carmichael coal mine in Queensland, owned by India’s Adani Enterprises, should come in “a matter of weeks, not months” following nearly a decade on the drawing board, the company’s mining chief executive, Lucas Dow, told Reuters last month.But a 40 percent slump in benchmark Australian thermal coal prices since mid-2018 to a two-year low last month, points to tight profit margins and questions as to whether the economics will support the launch of the mine as soon as next year.Adani has said it is aiming to start producing 10 million tonnes a year of coal from March 2020, but analysts say the target date is optimistic.“I think a lot of people are doubting as to whether it will see the light of day,” said Wood Mackenzie analyst Victor Tanevski in Sydney. Tanevski suggests benchmark Newcastle 6,000 grade coal would need to be close to $100 a tonne for the mine to break even. The 6,000 benchmark was quoted at $86.20 on Thursday.Analysts suggest the mine is unlikely to start commercial production until the middle of the next decade at the soonest, if at all. A profit margin of $8-$12 a tonne is half the averages of 2017 and 2018, highlighting how rapidly the market has turned since the Paris agreement on climate change.More: In a sunset industry, economics of Adani’s Australian coal mine questionedlast_img read more

No. 18 Syracuse pulls away to defeat Bucknell, 70-56, in sloppy game

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments Published on November 18, 2018 at 3:51 pm Contact Eric: erblack@syr.edu | @esblack34center_img Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman turned back, disgusted, to pace towards his bench. His hands outstretched and his head facing up, Hillsman had no answers for his team’s sloppy performance. A game after defeating No. 20 Texas A&M by 10, the No. 18 Orange were struggling with unranked Bucknell.The sloppiness lasted three quarters, and after 30 minutes of play in which the teams combined for 45 turnovers, Syracuse needed to string together at least one period of clean play to clinch a victory. They did, as SU (3-1) outscored Bucknell (2-2), 16-8, in the fourth quarter to defeat the Bison, 70-56.After playing two top-20 opponents in consecutive games, Hillsman said Syracuse may have underestimated the talent of Bucknell at first.“You try and tell your kids how good this team is, then you get on the floor and they start knocking down shots,” he said. “I think it became real early in the game that we’re playing against a very good basketball team that was well-coached.”Both teams’ carelessness began early in the game, started by Bison point guard Abby Kapp. Kapp, who scored a team-high 11 points, turned the ball over twice in the opening two minutes to open the floodgates for the ball control struggles. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe Orange tried early and often to feed the ball into the post, leading to a handful of turnovers by frontcourt players Amaya Finklea-Guity and Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi. Three turnovers by the two players alone prevented any separation in the first quarter, until Djaldi Tabdi pushed SU ahead, 12-6. The Bison responded with seven straight and took the lead themselves, though, thanks largely in part due to their shooting from deep. After the first quarter, the Orange had committed eight turnovers but still held onto a 15-13 lead.“I think we weren’t poised,” point guard Tiana Mangakahia said. “We were rushing things, we were throwing the ball away, silly turnovers. Things that we can control.”The second period appeared to show a change in SU, at least at first. A run put the Orange ahead 30-19 and in position to turn the game into a blowout, but the Bison stopped it.Again, after Syracuse looked to pull away, Bucknell responded with 3-pointers. By the end of the Bison’s answer, they’d scored nine points of their own to cut the SU lead to two with just seconds left. But instead of entering halftime on the wrong end of a run, the Orange flipped the script. Miranda Drummond nailed a 3-pointer in traffic on the left wing with just 1.4 seconds left and got fouled in the process, giving Syracuse some breathing room with a six-point lead at the break.“It’s a good feeling,” Drummond said, “especially when they just made a (run) before that.”Whatever momentum the Orange gained from Drummond’s 4-point play quickly dissipated. While they committed less than half the turnovers they gave away in the second quarter, this time Syracuse’s defense let it down. Its 2-3 zone lost its flexibility, and Bucknell’s 3-point shooters found themselves open time and time again. The Bison opened the second half on a 14-7 run, capped off by a 3-pointer following another SU turnover that gave it a 42-41 lead. Every time the Orange looked to make a run, the Bison answered. They hit five 3-pointers in the period, accounting for 15 of their 20 points. Eventually, Syracuse gave up trying to respond to the deep balls and began attacking inside to draw fouls. That allowed it to climb back, and a floater in the paint by Mangakahia gave SU a 54-48 lead heading into the fourth quarter. Hillsman told his players during the break before the final period to tighten up on defense, even if it allowed the Bison open lanes to the basket. The Orange had quelled their turnover issues, but they needed to fix their defense as well.“We had to push harder than in the first three quarters,” Mangakahia said. “We thought we should be ahead a little bit more … we had to stop them from shooting 3s and getting out.”In the fourth quarter, Syracuse put it all together. Djaldi-Tabdi opened the fourth with layups on two possessions to give the Orange a 10-point advantage, prompting Bucknell to call a timeout. After the break, the Bison came out firing against a tighter SU defense. The first three quarters saw the visitors make nine of their 19 attempts from 3. In the fourth, they missed all eight of them. Syracuse’s rotations defensively were quicker and more timely, and Bucknell failed to earn the same quality looks it had in the opening three quarters.Offensively, led by Mangakahia, the Orange were safer with the ball. Aside from a shot clock violation at the end of the game, SU committed just two turnovers in the fourth after giving away 21 prior. She hit her first 3 of the game midway through the quarter and on the next possession, sunk two free throws. Meanwhile, Bucknell’s turnover problems continued. Eight Bison giveaways in the fourth quarter allowed Syracuse to jump ahead for good and finally gave it full control of the game, even if it came later than it expected. For now, the Orange’s talent can help them survive in games where adjustments come slowly. They expect those changes to happen quicker in the future.“We still have a lot of practice and our chemistry has to fall a little bit better together,” Mangakahia said. “I think we have a lot of potential.”last_img read more

TDs WANT TOURIST ROUTE EXTENDED TO ALL OF DONEGAL

first_imgTDs are urging Fáilte Ireland to re-think its plans to end a self-drive tourism route at Sliabh Liag.Donegal North East representatives Pádraig MacLochlainn and Charlie McConalouge have written to the organisation to urge the inclusion of west and north Donegal in the ‘Wild Atlantic Drive’ initiative.Over the weekend donegaldaily.com was inundated with tourism operators including restauranteur and B&B owners hitting out after the tourist organisation said the drive from west Cork would not come any further north than the famous sea cliffs. Deputy MacLochlainn said he wants the route to start in Derry City so that visitors from America and continental Europe can take in all of Donegal.In his letter to Fáilte Ireland he urged them “to ensure that all of Donegal’s fantastic coastline is incorporated into your exciting plans for the ‘Wild Atlantic Drive’.”He went on: “If one of the starting or end points of the drive were to be Derry City, then you could include the “Inishowen 100”, Letterkenny, the “Atlantic Drive” around the Fanad and Rosguill peninsulas, and then take in the breathtaking Atlantic drive down West Donegal from Dunfanaghy to Sliabh League’s cliffs.”“There is real concern in North and West Donegal that we will be left out of this initiative and for a region working really hard to improve and market our tourism offer, this would be a real blow and the fact that Fáilte Ireland would preside over it, all the worse. “I trust that you will work with the tourism promoters in North and West Donegal to ensure that they are part of your plans.”Donegal North East Fianna Fáil TD Charlie McConalogue has welcomed news of the Atlantic Drive tourism initiative and insists that Ireland’s most northerly point is the obvious choice to start or end the route.Deputy McConalogue said: “Banba’s Crown Malin Head is Ireland’s most northerly point and it makes sense that the Atlantic Drive route would start or end here. It is an amazing place with stunning views and there are efforts locally to establish a visitors’ centre there.“The Atlantic Drive route would contribute greatly to this cause. I believe it is an exciting initiative and could boost tourism significantly. People love Ireland for our culture, hospitality and spectacular scenery. There is significant potential for tourism with relatively small investment required for outdoor activities which maximise our best resource, our natural environment.“I believe that with the right mix of support from Fáilte Ireland and coordinated efforts, tourism providers will rise to the challenge of delivering a natural tourism product. “I understand that the route has not yet been fully determined but I do believe it must embrace the entire County of Donegal. I have contacted Fáilte Ireland to put the case for the route beginning or ending at Banba’s Crown, Malin Head and continuing through Inishowen. I think it not only makes sense but will make for a spectacular route,” said Deputy McConalogue.Meanwhile Coilte is to launch off-road biking routes in Co Donegal, says TD Joe McHugh.The first route will be announced in the next few weeks, he said.LEAVE YOUR COMMENT BELOW © 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comTDs WANT TOURIST ROUTE EXTENDED TO ALL OF DONEGAL was last modified: January 16th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more