Unions pull representatives from Dutch scheme’s oversight board

first_imgThree unions have withdrawn their representatives from the accountability body (VO) of the Dutch sector scheme for dental technicians at the urgent request of the pension fund’s board.The board of Tandtechniek had ruled out further co-operation with the VO, which represents the scheme’s membership, as the accountability body was considering an appeal against a verdict from the Netherlands’ corporate court.The board feared that this could further delay the ailing pension fund’s plan to join the €197bn healthcare scheme, scheduled for 1 October.Last month the corporate court rejected the VO’s request for an investigation into alleged mismanagement by Tandtechniek’s board. The VO also asked to replace the board by an administrator. The court ruled that the body’s responsibilities weren’t as extended as it thought. Henk van der Meer, employee chair of Tandtechniek, said: “We don’t have time for such an appeal procedure, and we aren’t actually interested in it either. This will demand energy which we [would] rather spend on the collective value transfer.”Following a meeting with the accountability body, the board did not believe the VO would change tack either, Van der Meer added.He said that Wolter Jagt, employer representative in the VO, had already stepped down of his own accord as he didn’t agree with the decision to appeal the court’s ruling. The Tandtechniek scheme faces more cuts when it joins PFZW in October‘Give members more say’Responding to the developments, Arie Slottje – now also a former VO member – suggested that the board had obstructed the regular judicial process, as its request to the unions had effectively blocked the VO’s appeal option.In his opinion, the court hadn’t really addressed the questions posed by the VO, instead ruling that that the VO could not do anything whereas the board could do as it pleased.“The participants who pay can’t decide or ask anything, but are subject to risks and losses,” he said.Slottje referred to the low funding of Tandtechniek, which stood at 92.7% of liabilities at year-end, following several rounds of rights cuts during the past few years.Joining PFZW, which has a coverage ratio of 98.6%, would make additional cuts inevitable.Citing Tandtechniek’s annual report over 2016, Slottje said that participants had already lost at least 20% of their pension rights. “The chances to make up for this are virtually zero,” he said.Slottje, who took his PhD on decision-making processes at company pension funds, argued that participants themselves should get an increased say at the expense of the unions, “as unions represent no more than 18% of the Dutch working population”.last_img read more

Elijah Hughes receives NBA Draft Combine invite

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ But logistics about the draft combine remain in flux. Prospects were sent emails containing disclaimers stating that a date, location and format — as well as whether the actual combine will take place — haven’t been decided on yet, ESPN’s Jonathan Givony reported. “The purpose of this email is to notify you of your standing invitation to the Combine as the league office continues to monitor the pandemic and consult with infectious disease specialists, public health experts, and government officials,” an example email to prospects said, according to Zagoria.The NBA is currently attempting a restart of its suspended season, housing all players, coaches and essential staff in an Orlando bubble. Its draft was originally scheduled for June 25 but has been pushed back to Oct. 16, six weeks after the season resumes. Hughes announced his decision to enter the draft March 21 and declared his intention to remain in the draft and forego his senior season one month later.After transferring from East Carolina following the 2016-17 season, Hughes became the Orange’s offensive focal point last year. The first-team All-ACC replaced Tyus Battle as the primary scorer, leading the conference in total points (609), and has since been pegged as a second-round pick in recent mock drafts. Comments Former Syracuse forward Elijah Hughes has received an NBA Draft Combine invitation, according to Adam Zagoria. While the combine’s date, location and format all remain unknown, Hughes told Syracuse.com that the invite is “very exciting.” Hughes, who averaged an Atlantic Coast Conference-leading 19.0 points per game last season, was part of a 105-player list the NBA gave to general managers for combine-invite voting. The top 60 or 70 prospects traditionally receive a spot.center_img Published on July 27, 2020 at 3:12 pm Contact Andrew: arcrane@syr.edu | @CraneAndrewlast_img read more