FCS Jacksonville State Leads Auburn At The Half

first_imgjJcksonville State's Jenkins seen in game against Auburn.Twitter/@NickJuskewycz There were plenty of interesting possible upsets on the college football slate today, but we didn’t tab Jacksonville State over Auburn as one of them. However, the Gamecocks, who went 10-2 in FCS play last year, are half way to a stunning win at Jordan-Hare Stadium. They lead the Tigers 10-6 at halftime.Auburn and Jacksonville State traded field goals early on, but the Gamecocks’ quarterback Eli Jenkins threw an impressive touchdown pass to Josh Barge to take the lead in the second quarter.Jacksonville State currently leads 6th ranked #Auburn 10-6, late in the second quarter. #JSUvsAUB pic.twitter.com/B50kBpQDXD— CFB Nation (@UofCFB) September 12, 2015There is plenty of time life, but Auburn fans have to be concerned with how the team has come out against what should be an overmatched opponent.last_img read more

Parts of northeastern Ontario on evacuation notice as wildfires spread

first_imgOntario has put a large swath of homes on evacuation notice, emptied two provincial parks and called for help from other provinces as forest fires rage near the Quebec border.The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry placed residents near Temagami, Ont., on notice Monday morning after 20 homes were evacuated Sunday as a fire approached the town along with other fires that have begun in the area.“Fire North Bay 69,” as it’s known, is just kilometres from the town, said ministry spokeswoman Jolanta Kowalski. Ontario Provincial Police said the blaze was “dangerously close” to the evacuated homes.As of Monday morning, there are 70 forest fires in the province’s northeast region with 33 of them not yet under control, Kowalski said.“There’s high temperatures, dry conditions and a lot of thunderstorms,” she said, making ideal conditions for the start and spread of fires.“The risk of wildland fires across most of northern Ontario is high and it’s especially challenging in the northeast right now because there are so many fires.”Ontario Parks also evacuated two provincial parks, Finlayson Point and Marten River, “due to the significant risk from nearby forest fire activity.”Neary 450 campers have gotten out safely, an Ontario Parks spokeswoman said. The parks will remain closed for the time being.Jolanta said the ministry will be getting reinforcements from other provinces to join the 400 firefighters currently working the northeast quadrant of the province.Numerous water bombers are operating during daylight hours in an effort to stop or control the spread of the fires, she said.It has been a bad year for forest fires in Ontario with 504 recorded to date compared to 143 this time last year, according to the ministry’s data.The area burned is up significantly as well, with 61,000 hectares damaged due to fire compared to 42,000 hectares last year, Kowalski said.In Temagami, tensions are high, said Brian Koski, a local councillor and the head of the municipality’s emergency management committee.“It’s very close to the town,” Koski said.Smoke blanketed the area on Sunday, which led to one resident suffering an asthma attack, Koski said, but no one else has been injured.There are several larger fires to the south of the town, he said. And small blazes are popping up and spreading quickly.Koski spent part of Sunday driving around and helping residents clear out when he stopped by Karol Lake.“There was not even a puff of smoke,” he said. “By 2 p.m. there was a puff of smoke. And by 4 p.m. it was a raging fire.”last_img read more

Joyce and Morgan Saufkie from the village of Shung

first_imgJoyce and Morgan Saufkie from the village of Shungopovie on the Hopi Reservation on Second Mesa have been part of our extended family for many years. Joyce is an elder of the Basket Weaving Clan and has taught many basket weaving workshops at Arcosanti. Here Morgan demonstrates the corn planting procedure. [Photo: Yuki Yanagimoto & Text: sa] Joyce looks on as agriculture manager Brad Crutchfield prepares holes to nestle the precious Hopi Blue Corn into. [Photo: Yuki Yanagimoto & Text: sa] May 26, 2004Part of the first field behind camp has been prepared for corn planting. [Photo: Yuki Yanagimoto & Text: sa]Part of the first field behind camp has been prepared for corn planting. [Photo: Yuki Yanagimoto & Text: sa]last_img read more

Women in low and middleincome countries need radiotherapy to treat their cervical

first_img Source:University Health Network These are women in their prime who are working, caring for children, and contributing to their communities. We have made huge progress in tackling other infectious disease and in reducing maternal mortality, so that women are now living long enough to develop diseases such as cancer and heart disease.Vaccination is hugely important, but we can’t neglect the millions of women who are contracting cervical cancer and dying in pain without access to treatment. These are women who have curable cancers – even advanced cervical cancer can be cured with radiotherapy. The possibility exists to make this treatment universally available.”Dr. Danielle Rodin, Clinician-Investigator and Radiation Oncologist, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre Reviewed by Alina Shrourou, B.Sc. (Editor)May 29 2019A first of its kind study is reporting that millions of women in low- and middle-income countries will need life-saving radiotherapy to treat their cervical cancer, despite the growth of essential human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccination prevention programs.The availability of radiotherapy in these regions would generate millions of productive life years and billions of dollars in economic benefits for their families and communities.The study modeled the long-term demand, benefit and cost of implementing a 20-year strategy for radiotherapy to treat cervical cancer in low- and middle-income countries between 2015 and 2035, alongside a simultaneous vaccination program.Low-income and middle-income countries include those with a gross national income of less than $12,000 USD a year.Related StoriesStudy reveals link between inflammatory diet and colorectal cancer riskTrends in colonoscopy rates not aligned with increase in early onset colorectal cancerUsing machine learning algorithm to accurately diagnose breast cancerThe research entitled “Scale-up of radiotherapy for cervical cancer in the era of human papillomavirus vaccination in low-income and middle-income countries: A model-based analysis of need and economic impact,” by lead author Dr. Danielle Rodin and senior author Dr. Michael Milosevic, in the Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre is published in the May 24, 2019 online edition of The Lancet Oncology.In the designated 20-year-time span, the study estimated that 9.4 million women in these countries will require radiotherapy – the gold standard for curing women with more advanced cervical cancer. This would result in a net benefit to the economies of these countries of $151.5 billion over the same time period as a direct result of women living longer, more productive lives.HPV vaccination would result in a 3.9% reduction in cervical cancer incidence over the study period – assuming a best case scenario of vaccinating every 12-year-old girl in the world starting in 2014. By 2072, when the first vaccinated cohort reaches 70 years of age, there would be a 22.9% reduction in incidence, still leaving 41.6 million in need for radiotherapy over that time period.Almost all cervical cancers are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV), a sexually transmitted infection. There are more than 100 types of HPV, of which more than 40 can cause cervical cancer. Persistent HPV infections can sometimes develop into cervical cancer if not treated.last_img read more

Fox rejected an offer from Comcast before Disney buyout filing

Media giant 21st Century Fox, which was sold to Disney in December, rejected a higher buyout offer from Comcast over fears of regulatory risks © 2018 AFP The joint regulatory filing by Fox and Disney said a buyout by cable operator Comcast “carried a more significant risk of exposure to a range of negative outcomes for 21CF” while “a transaction with Disney would provide superior closing certainty as a result of the lower regulatory risk faced by Disney.”The decision came in the wake of the US Department of Justice legal challenge to a mega-merger between Time Warner and AT&T.Comcast also refused to provide compensation if the transaction was blocked by competition authorities, while Disney proposed $2.5 billion.Comcast had offered $34.40 per share compared to Disney’s $29.On December 14, Disney announced the purchase of many of Fox’s assets for $52.4 billion, though a final approval by antitrust authorities is not expected before 2019.Comcast was reported in February to have relaunched its bid, according to reports, offering to assuage some of Fox’s concerns.The media landscape is undergoing accelerated upheaval as traditional TV and film players seek to merge with cable operators to better combat tech giants, including Netflix and Amazon and their video streaming platforms. Explore further Media giant 21st Century Fox, which was sold to Disney in December, rejected a higher buyout offer from Comcast over fears of regulatory risks, a filing showed Wednesday. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Citation: Fox rejected an offer from Comcast before Disney buyout: filing (2018, April 19) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-04-fox-comcast-disney-buyout.html Comcast ponders new bid for 21st Century Fox: US media read more

Tiny Fighting Worms Make One of the Loudest Sounds in the Ocean

first_imgHeadbutting Tiny Worms Are Really, Really LoudThis rapid strike produces a loud ‘pop’ comparable to those made by snapping shrimps, one of the most intense biological sounds measured at sea.Volume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9接下来播放Better Bug Sprays?01:33 facebook twitter 发邮件 reddit 链接https://www.livescience.com/65945-tiny-worms-emit-loud-noise.html?jwsource=cl已复制直播00:0000:3500:35Your Recommended Playlist01:33Better Bug Sprays?01:08Why Do French Fries Taste So Bad When They’re Cold?04:24Sperm Whale Befriends Underwater Robot00:29Robot Jumps Like a Grasshopper, Rolls Like a Ball00:29Video – Giggly Robot02:31Surgical Robotics关闭 Tiny, feisty worms that live off the coast of Japan fight by headbutting each other — and they aren’t quiet about it. During these feuds, the worms emit one of the loudest sounds in the ocean, according to a new study. The source of the underwater hullabaloo is a nearly transparent segmented worm called the Leocratides kimuraorum, which lives inside sponges 279 to 554 feet (85 to 169 meters) deep off the coast of Japan. [The 12 Weirdest Animal Discoveries]Advertisement These wigglies are just a tad more than an inch (29 millimeters) long and have lengthy tentacles and a big mouth (literally). These seemingly quiet creatures revealed their true nature under the spotlight in the lab. A group of researchers used an instrument called a hydrophone to record 15 pops that were emitted from three kimuraorums as they were fighting. In a marine feud researchers dub “mouth-fighting,” the worms approached each other headfirst with their mouths open. During such encounters, the worms’ pharynx muscles expand rapidly, creating a cavitation bubble that collapses and produces a loud “pop” while the worms launch into each other. The researchers found that these pops can reach 157 decibels in the water (which is a different measurement than decibels in the air). From right next to the water tank, the pops sounded like humans snapping their fingers, lead author Goto Ryutaro, an assitant professor at Kyoto University told Live Science. “Though they probably sound louder if you hear them in the water.” The worms are as loud as snapping shrimps, which are one of the biggest noisemakers in the ocean, the authors wrote. What’s more, they found that these worms did not make any noise when simply disturbed, they only did so when they were fighting. They “may use mouth-fighting to defend territory or living chambers from other worms,” the authors wrote July 8 in the journal Current Biology. “A loud pop may be a byproduct of the rapid mouth attack, but it may also aid intraspecific communication.” A loud noise could somehow determine the victor of the fight or even reveal the whereabouts of nearby worms, they wrote. 13 Extremely Weird Animal Feet The 10 Strangest Animal Discoveries Strange Love: 10 Animals with Truly Weird Courtship Rituals Originally published on Live Science.by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksYou May LikeVikings: Free Online GamePlay this for 1 min and see why everyone is addicted!Vikings: Free Online GameUndoThrone: Free Online GamesIf You’re Over 40 And Own A Computer, This Game Is A Must!Throne: Free Online GamesUndoLivestlyDear Seniors And Retirees, These Dog Breeds Are RecommendedLivestlyUndoAuto Overload25+ Moments Captured When It All Went WrongAuto OverloadUndoNucificTop Dr. Reveals The 1 Nutrient Your Gut Must HaveNucificUndoThe Legacy ReportMan Who Called NVIDIA Rise Makes New 5G PredictionThe Legacy ReportUndolast_img read more

Council issues onthespot fines for illegal rubbish dumping

first_imgChua (left) and an MPS enforcement officer speaking to those caught dumping rubbish at the site. Metro News 12 Jul 2019 Up in arms over dumpsite stink Chua said this during a visit to the site yesterday.He was accompanied by officers from MPS, Selangor Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID) and Selangor Environment Department (DOE) after receiving a tip-off from residents about the illegal dumping.Chua said the operators claimed they had been dumping rubbish at the spot for the past 20 years.“They have managed to escape but this time we visited the area at the right time,” he said.To prevent operators from disposing rubbish illegally, MPS dug a deep hole along the path to stop vehicles from driving into the area.A backhoe belonging to an operator was also confiscated during the raid.MPS would monitor the situation by conducting frequent site visits, said Chua.StarMetro had reported on July 10 of concerns by Pangsapuri Nuri Fasa 20A residents that open burning was being carried out at the site.They complained that the smoke and stench had caused breathing problems among children.The site, which is located near Sungai Garing, has been a popular dumping spot for plastic waste, old tyres, broken furniture and used bottles.There was also construction waste material such as broken tiles and empty paint tins scattered along the path leading to the site.To avoid being caught by the authorities, the lorry drivers only enter the site after midnight. Before leaving the site, they would set the rubbish on fire.Residents said this had been happening for the past three weeks. Related News Metro News 10 Jul 2019 Smoke gets in their eyes Central Region Related News THE illegal dumpsite in Saujana Rawang is located on state land.Rawang assemblyman Chua Wei Kiat said he was informed of this by the Selangor Land and Mines Department.“Since it is not on private land, MPS (Selayang Municipal Council) can issue summonses to the operators directly,” he said.Chua added that three operators found dumping rubbish at the site during a recent visit were slapped with a RM1,000 fine on the spot by MPS. Tags / Keywords: Metro News 08 Jul 2019 Mounds of rubbish litter Sepang’s scenic spot {{category}} {{time}} {{title}}last_img read more

Yeoh 65 of government agencies still without childcare centres

first_img SIBU: Some 541 or 65% of government agencies are without childcare centres, says Deputy Women, Family and Community Development Minister Hannah Yeoh.She urged all government agencies to allocate internal funds instead of waiting for government grants to set up childcare centres for children aged below four in their premises.”There are 541 agencies without childcare centre. They should not wait for us for the grant to start theirs.”They have their own budget. They have to prioritise it (childcare),” she said, adding that the grant was merely to kickstart such initiatives. Related News {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} Yeoh said there was a lot of catching up to do as all government agencies were required to set up their own childcare centres by Jan 1 next year.Following the RM10mil allocation for taska (childcare centres) in government agencies, which was announced in Budget 2019, the ministry received 101 applications nationwide, she added.”To date, we have approved 66 applications. These include government hospitals, the police, Bomba, Immigration Department and Prisons Department,” she said.She added that childcare centres offered peace of mind for government employees while they were at work and would help retain women in the workforce.”There are only 54% of women at work compared to 80% for men. We need to have sufficient facility so that women can go back to work,” she added.She said this at the opening of the Sibu Hospital Taska, which was held in memory of five-month-old baby Adam Raykal Mohd Sufi who was found dead in a refrigerator at his babysitter’s house in Kampung Nakhoda, Gombak in July last year.Yeoh also presented RM80,000 to Sibu Hospital Taska, RM100,000 to UiTM Samarahan, RM195,000 to state Welfare Department and RM140,000 to Limbang Prisons Department Taska at the ceremony on Friday (July 12). Nation 2d ago ‘Childcare centres at workplace a good thing’ Metro News 2d ago Over RM102,000 raised for Paralympic movement Nation 10 Jul 2019 Govt mulls compatibility quiz for couples who want to wed Hannah (centre) presentig a mock cheque for RM80,000 to Sibu Hospital director, Dr Ngian Hie Ung (right). Related Newslast_img read more