Quota review committee given 90 more days

first_imgQuota reform movement. Prothom Alo File PhotoThe secretary-level committee to review, reform or cancel the existing quota system in public services has been extended by 90 days to complete its tasks.A notification in this regard was published by the public administration ministry on Thursday.The extension was given in the backdrop of the students’ demonstration demanding quota reform or cancellation of quota as per announcement of the prime minister in parliament in April.Formed on 2 July, the committee formed was initially asked to submit its report within 15 working days.However, the committee held only one meeting on 8 July when its members decided to collect information about quota reserved for specific segment of the population at home and abroad.Currently, 55 per cent of the public service jobs is reserved for applicants covered by various quotas and remaining 45 per cent for merit-based recruitment.In the face of massive protestrs from students across the country, prime minister Sheikh Hasina said in April that there would be no quota. Following delay in publishing of gazette notification in this regard, the students took to streets again recently.On 2 July, the government then formed the seven-member committee headed by cabinet secretary Muhammad Shafiul Alam.Other members of the committee are senior secretary of legislative and parliamentary affairs division of the law ministry M Shahidul Haque, then finance division secretary Mohammad Muslim Chowdhury, public administration secretary Faiz Ahmed, liberation war affairs secretary Aparup Chowdhury, public service commission secretary Akhtari Momtaz and acting secretary of the prime minister’s office Sajjadul Hasan.last_img read more

Slab of overbridge falls on 2 at Baruipur Stn 1 dead

first_imgKolkata: In a tragic incident, a woman was killed and another sustained injury after a slab of a railway foot overbridge fell on them at Baruipur Station in the Sealdah South section on Friday evening.The incident triggered tension among the other passengers, who were there on the platform at the time of the incident. The GRP and RPF rushed to the spot immediately after the incident and closed the foot overbridge for public use.The railway authorities have ordered a probe into the incident. CPRO Eastern Railways Ravi Mahapatra said Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifethat there might have beenlack in the maintenance of the foot bridge. Action would be taken against those who will be found responsible for the incident.The deceased has been identified as Ashima Pramanik. She was declared brought dead after being taken to a nearby hospital in Baruipur. Another person, whose identity is yet to be confirmed by the police, received serious injuries in the incident and is undergoing treatment at the hospital.According to local sources, Pramanik was returning home after her puja shopping. They said that the slab fell from a height of 30 feet. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThe local residents raised their voice against the poor maintenance of the foot bridge, which led to the accident. They said that the victims were passing along platform number 3, when a loud thud was heard.The other passengers saw that Pramanik had fallen on the platform with her head bleeding profusely.The incident also caused chaos at the station, with some local residents staging protest demonstration. Senior railway officials rushed to the spot and brought the situation under control.”We have ordered a probe in this regard. Steps would be taken against those who will be found guilty,” Mahapatra said.last_img read more