Kapil Sharma Show Kangana Ranaut wants to ban a few journalists

first_imgKapil Sharma, Kangana RanautTwitterKangana Ranaut has remained unfazed by the ban imposed by the Entertainment Journalists’ Guild of India (EJG) post the actress’ verbal altercation with a journalist. She has been promoting her upcoming Judgementall Hai Kya and had been explaining why she relatiated to the journalist and what problems does she have with a certain section of the media. So when Kangana appeared on The Kapil Sharma Show, Kangana said that she would like to ban a few journalists in the know.During the interaction, Kapil Sharma took a dig at the media ban on Kangana Ranaut saying that nowadays anyone wants to ban someone for some reason. He then asked Kangana who she would like to ban if given a choice. To which, she replied, “I know a few of the journalists in my list who I would like to ban.”Earlier, Kapil too was involved in an abusive spat against a journalist whom according to the comedian was writing only negative things about him. Later, Kapil had also filed an FIR against the journalist post which the latter refrained from writing any articles about the former following the court’s decision.Meanwhile, EJG has boycotted Kangana from media coverage until she issues a public apology for everything that transpired between her and the journalist at Judgementall Hai Kya song launch event.Kangana, however, not just only refused to apologise to the section of the media but also slammed them in a video message calling them as ‘termites’, ‘pseudo’, ‘traitors’ and ‘tenth-fail’. And even sent a legal notice to EJG through her lawyer for wrongfully supporting the journalist without any provocation.last_img read more

Free Anwar Ibrahim declares new dawn for Malaysia

first_imgMalaysian politician Anwar Ibrahim leaves a hospital where he is receiving treatment, ahead of an audience with Malaysia`s King Sultan Muhammad V, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 16 May 2018. Photo: ReutersReformist Anwar Ibrahim declared a “new dawn for Malaysia” Wednesday after his release from prison paved the way for a return to national politics as presumptive successor to Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad following a stunning election upset.In scenes that captivated Malaysians, the charismatic 70-year-old returned to the national spotlight after the country’s king quashed a widely-criticised sodomy conviction that had put Anwar behind bars for three years.To ecstatic cries of “Reformasi!” (Reform) — Anwar’s ralling cry — he vowed to hundreds of journalists, supporters and admiring prison guards to support the new government’s efforts to clean up the country.Anwar said he had forgiven Mahathir, 92, who had him imprisoned two decades ago but has become his unlikely ally.”Now there is a new dawn for Malaysia. I must thank the people of Malaysia,” said Anwar, flanked by his wife Wan Azizah Wan Ismail and other members of his political party.”The entire spectrum of Malaysians, regardless of race or religion, have stood by the principles of democracy and freedom. They demand change.”Anwar has cast a long shadow over Malaysian politics for decades.He enjoyed a meteoric rise in the now-ousted Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition but suffered a spectacular falling out with his then-boss Mahathir in the late 1990s and was thrown in jail after being convicted of sodomy and abuse of power.Upon his release the first time, he joined and revitalised the opposition coalition that finally ousted BN last week.Anwar’s release from his second jail term sets up a tantalising reunion with his nemesis-turned-ally Mahathir.Mahathir has said he expects to run the government for one to two years but has signalled that the reins would be turned over to Anwar eventually.Anwar said his history with Mahathir — who sacked Anwar and had him jailed in 1998 — was water under the bridge, as they shared the same goals of reforming the government and cleaning up a massive corruption scandal involving former prime minister Najib Razak.”Bury the hatchet? It’s been a long time already,” Anwar said when asked about Mahathir.”I have forgiven him,” he added, saying he would work to support the smooth transition of power to the new government headed by Mahathir.Anwar’s release caps a remarkable reversal of fortune made possible by the BN’s unexpected electoral drubbing a week ago.The former autocrat Mahathir — who headed BN for 22 years until 2003 — came out of retirement to lead a disparate opposition first assembled by Anwar to an upset victory, fuelled by rising public anger at a massive government corruption scandal under Najib.Many had expected BN to coast to victory given its tight hold over the media, government, police and electoral apparatus of the multicultural Muslim-majority nation.But the result laid bare the depth of disgust with former leader Najib, who stands accused of presiding over the plundering of the state investment fund 1MDB which he established.Mahathir has barred Najib from leaving the country pending investigations.Dizzying changeThe BN had ruled since independence in 1957. Anwar’s release adds to the dizzying sense of change sweeping the country and is likely to fuel public expectations for an entirely new national direction.Xavier Jayakumar, a member of parliament with Anwar’s Parti Keadilan Rakyat, called it “a momentous day for all of Malaysia”.”The joy is similar to when South Africans celebrated with jubilation after Nelson Mandela was freed.”Talib Ibrahim, 60, a supporter waiting at the Kuala Lumpur hospital, said Anwar’s release was “good for the country”.”He did good (before) and can do good for the whole of Malaysia,” he said.Anwar cannot directly join the government anytime soon.He must first be elected to parliament, having been stripped of his seat in 2015 when his conviction on charges of sodomising a young male aide was upheld on appeal and he went to jail a second time.That conviction is viewed by many as having been orchestrated by Najib’s government to neutralise Anwar’s rising political threat.Previously, the charismatic Anwar headed various ministries under Mahathir’s tutelage in the 1990s, earning praise as a reformer. He eventually became deputy prime minister and Mahathir’s presumed successor.But the two men fell out over a number of issues, resulting in the popular Anwar’s imprisonment, which triggered unprecedented protests.After six years in jail, Anwar used his star power to unite the previously hapless opposition before the latest sodomy charges cast him once again into the political wilderness.last_img

Beijing accuses Trump of blackmail

first_imgUS President Donald Trump welcomes Chinese President Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago state in Palm Beach, Florida, US. Photo: ReutersBeijing on Tuesday accused Donald Trump of “blackmail” and warned it would retaliate in kind after the US president threatened to impose fresh tariffs on Chinese goods, pushing the world’s two biggest economies closer to a trade war.Trump said on Monday he had asked the US Trade Representative to target $200 billion worth of imports for a 10 percent levy, citing China’s “unacceptable” move to raise its own tariffs.He added he would identify an extra $200 billion of goods-for a possible total of $450 billion, or most Chinese imports-“if China increases its tariffs yet again”.“Further action must be taken to encourage China to change its unfair practices, open its market to United States goods and accept a more balanced trade relationship with the United States,” Trump said in a statement.Last week, he announced 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese imports, prompting Beijing to retaliate with matching duties on US goods.The US leader warned Friday of “additional tariffs” should Beijing hit back with tit-for-tat measures.“The trade relationship between the United States and China must be much more equitable,” he said in explaining his latest decision.“I have an excellent relationship with President Xi (Jinping), and we will continue working together on many issues. But the United States will no longer be taken advantage of on trade by China and other countries in the world.”China’s commerce ministry immediately responded by saying the US “practice of extreme pressure and blackmail departed from the consensus reached by both sides during multiple negotiations and has also greatly disappointed international society”.“If the US acts irrationally and issues a list, China will have no choice but to take comprehensive measures of a corresponding number and quality and take strong, powerful countermeasures.”The news hit stock markets in Asia, with Shanghai down almost four percent and Shenzhen tumbling nearly six percent, while Hong Kong fell more than two percent.Leading the fall in Hong Kong was Chinese telecom giant ZTE, plunging nearly 26 percent and shedding nearly two-thirds of its value since striking a deal with the Trump administration to lift a ban on using critical US components.But on Monday, the US Senate defied Trump by voting to overrule his administration’s deal with legislation to reimpose the ban on hi-tech chip sales to the company, whose fate has figured prominently in the trade talks.Trump is moving forward with the trade measures after months of sometimes fraught shuttle diplomacy in which Chinese offers to purchase more American goods failed to assuage his grievances over a widening trade imbalance and China’s aggressive industrial development policies.China had offered to ramp up purchases of American goods by $70 billion to help cut its yawning trade surplus with the United States, whereas Trump had demanded a $200 billion deficit cut.“Disregarding the consensus reached by the two countries, the US is playing fast and loose and once again stirring up a trade war,” said China’s foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang.“This way of doing things breaks faith with everyone,” Geng said.‘Unacceptable’ -The China trade offensive is only one side of Trump’s multi-front battle with the United States’ economic partners as he presses ahead with his protectionist “America First” agenda.Since June 1, steel and aluminium imports from the European Union, Canada and Mexico have been hit with tariffs of 25 percent and 10 percent, respectively.“This latest action by China clearly indicates its determination to keep the United States at a permanent and unfair disadvantage, which is reflected in our massive $376 billion trade imbalance in goods,” Trump said of China’s retaliatory tariffs.“This is unacceptable.”Two decades ago, China’s economy was largely fuelled by exports, but it has made progress in rebalancing towards domestic investment and consumption since the global financial crisis erupted last decade-limiting the damage trade tariffs could inflict on Beijing.Still, strong exports this year have lifted the economy, which is now showing signs of losing steam under the weight of Beijing’s war on debt, launched to clean up financial risks and rein in borrowing-fuelled growth.Initially, 545 US products valued at $34 billion will be targeted by China, mimicking the Trump administration’s tariff rollout.Beijing wants to “demonstrate that things will be done their way or not at all,” said Christopher Balding, an economics professor at Shenzhen’s HSBC Business School, who believes Chinese policymakers prefer demonstrations of “power and control” over “technical policy rightness.”“It is a game of chicken,” Balding said.So far Beijing has targeted major American exports to China such as soybeans, which brought in $14 billion in sales last year, and are grown in states that supported Trump during the 2016 presidential election, as well as other politically sensitive products.Officials also drew up a second list of $16 billion in chemical and energy products to hit with new tariffs, though China did not announce a date for imposing them.More American targets are likely to follow as soon as the Trump administration follows through with publishing an expanded tariff list.last_img read more