S.F. Defense Beats Giants, 16-10

first_imgEAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Every time the San Francisco offense opened the door for the reeling New York Giants, the 49ers’ defense closed it.Rookie linebacker Chris Borland intercepted a fourth-down pass by Eli Manning at the 49ers 2 with 4:43 to play to cap a goal-line stand and San Francisco defeated New York 16-10 on Nov. 16, sending the error-plagued Giants to their fifth straight loss.“There’s no give-up in our guys,” said Borland, who had two of the five interceptions by the 49ers (6-4). Borland is the first 49ers rookie with two picks in a game. He joined Ken Norton Jr. in 1995 as the only 49ers linebackers with two interceptions in a game over the past 40 years.“We have guys, veterans, who have been there a lot. When it was going tough, we just pressed on and kept looking forward. Back-to-back wins on the road, we’re all excited.”It should have been a lot easier. San Francisco had almost 35 minutes in time of possession and five takeaways, but it had to sweat out a first-and-goal from its 4 to win.Blame that on the 49ers’ offense. Its contribution against a Giants defense that had given up 136 points in its last four games was a 48-yard touchdown pass from Colin Kaepernick to Michael Crabtree and three first-half field goals by Phil Dawson.A possible fourth field goal was lost when holder Andy Lee could not catch a snap on a day that 49ers special teams also allowed New York to recover an onside kick.“It was a spectacular performance by our defense today,” San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh said. “So many guys stepped up and played great, living in the moment and competing like the dickens and making tremendous and athletic football plays.”The game also marked the return of 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith, who was active for the first time after missing the first nine games because of a suspension.Manning threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to tight end Larry Donnell on New York’s opening possession, but the Giants (3-7) only got a field goal from Josh Brown the rest of the way. After throwing six interceptions in the Giants’ first nine games, Manning nearly equaled that number while tying a single-game career high against the 49ers.“We made it hard for him,” Smith said of Manning, who was hit twice by the linebacker. “Making him uncomfortable in the pocket and moving him around, pressuring him from everywhere.”The game was decided in the closing minutes of the fourth quarter when Manning drove the Giants from their 35 to the San Francisco 4, where they had a first-and-goal following a spectacular 37-yard leaping catch by rookie Odell Beckham Jr. over Perrish Cox.Three fade patterns to Beckham, Rueben Randle and Donnell fell incomplete. Manning tried to force a pass to Preston Parker on fourth down, but Dontae Johnson tipped the ball and Borland came up with his second pick.“Four shots from the 4-yard line – it’s inexcusable that we didn’t score,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said.New York had a chance to take the lead earlier in the quarter, driving to the San Francisco 32. On a second-and-5, Manning and his receiver seemed a little out of synch and Chris Culliver intercepted the pass near the 10.“I have to make better throws,” said Manning, who finished 22 of 45 for 280 yards. “It’s no one else’s fault. I’ve got to protect the ball and not turn it over. I turned it over close a couple of times and that can’t happen.”Michael Wilhoite and Eric Reid also intercepted Manning.The Giants’ opening drive kept them in the game. After recovering a fumble by Frank Gore (19 rushes for 95 yards) at the Giants 37, Manning capped a five-play drive with a 19-yard touchdown pass to Donnell. It marked the first time in 20 games that New York scored a touchdown on its opening drive.After three field goals by Dawson, San Francisco stretched the lead to 16-7 early in the third quarter when Kaepernick (15 of 29 for 193 yards) found Crabtree across the middle and the receiver outran five defenders for a 48-yard catch-and-run.“We’re trying to take advantage of the opportunities that we have,” Kaepernick said. “We know our backs are against the wall. We have to play every week like it’s our last game.”Brown narrowed the gap to 16-10 with a 43-yard field goal midway through the third quarter and New York seemingly got a boost when it recovered the ensuing onside kick. However, the offense faltered and New York did not make the plays down the stretch.(TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer)TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

MPCC Buys More Scrubbers Inks Charters for Six Ships

first_imgzoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Norwegian shipowner MPC Container Ships (MPCC) has exercised options to equip additional five vessels with exhaust gas cleaning systems and agreed charters for six scrubber-retrofitted boxships.As informed, the charterparties will be initiated after scrubber retrofitting and with a duration into 2022.“We are excited to have concluded charters for six scrubber-retrofitted vessels in our fleet. The transaction adds charter coverage at attractive rates and provides significant upside potential post January 1, 2020. Equally important, the transaction demonstrates an increasing interest from liner companies for scrubber-linked charters,” Constantin Baack, CEO of the company, commented.The company seeks to take advantage of the optionality of its scrubber program by analyzing further retrofits on a vessel by vessel basis. In this context, MPC Container Ships said it is already in dialogue with various liner companies on further scrubber-linked employment concepts.Earlier this month, MPC Container Ships entered into agreements for the purchase of exhaust gas cleaning systems for five of its ships, with options to retrofit up to an additional 50 vessels.Although the frequent vessel acquisitions impacted its financial performance, the shipowner managed to remain profitable in the third quarter of 2018. The company closed Q3 2018 with a net profit of USD 1.2 million, compared to USD 1.8 million seen in Q2 2018 and USD 100,000 in Q3 2017.In addition, total operating revenues were USD 55.8 million in Q3 2018, against USD 46.9 million posted a quarter earlier and USD 7 million in Q3 last year.For the nine-month period ended Q3 2018, net profit was USD 3.5 million, compared to a net loss of USD 336,000 reported in the corresponding period a year earlier.What is more, operating revenues were USD 131 million in the nine-month period of 2018, against USD 8.2 million recorded in the first three quarters of 2017.As explained, the operating result of the group is impacted by ship takeovers as well as one-off costs for the start-up phase associated with the establishment and development of the group. MPC Container Ships has taken over 40 vessels during the first nine months of 2018.As of September 30, 2018, the group has acquired and taken over 69 container vessels, whereof 61 are fully consolidated and eight are operated in a joint venture formed in April 2017.MPC Container Ships’ main activity is to own and operate a portfolio of container ships with a focus on the feeder segment between 1,000 and 3,000 TEU.last_img read more

Did Canadian military intelligence use US information on Akwesasne for threat assessment

first_imgJorge Barrera APTN National NewsThe Canadian military’s counter-intelligence branch is keeping mum on whether intelligence from the U.S. about Akwesasne formed part of several “Threat Information Collection (TIC)” reports that mentioned the Mohawk community between 2012 and 2015.Capt. Travis Smyth, spokesperson for the Canadian Forces Intelligence Command, said Monday the military’s National Counter Intelligence Unit does not conduct direct surveillance of Akwesasne, a Mohawk community straddling the Canada-U.S. border. Smyth said the military relies on intelligence gathered by regional and local police authorities under “sharing agreements.”When APTN National News pressed Smyth on whether any of the intelligence on Akwesasne came from U.S. sources, the public affairs officer said he couldn’t comment on the question.“That, I can’t actually speak to,” said Smyth, in an interview Monday. “It is widely known that Canada is part of the ‘Five-Eyes’ info-sharing community.”Several TIC reports were released to APTN last week under the Access to Information Act.One of the TIC reports from 2012—which discussed Akwesasne as a potential threat source for the planned docking of three warships in Cornwall, Ont.—was shared among the Five-Eyes. The Five-Eyes refers to allies Canada, U.S., Great Britain, New Zealand and Australia which are part of an intelligence sharing arrangement.Akwesasne, which sits about 120 kilometres west of Montreal, straddles the Quebec-Ontario-New York State borders.U.S. Homeland Security, U.S. Border Patrol and the Drug Enforcement Administration actively monitor the U.S. side of Akwesasne primarily targeting human smuggling and marijuana shipments heading south.The Canada Border Services Agency, RCMP, Surete du Quebec and the Ontario Provincial Police all keep tabs on Akwesasne, which is viewed as a high-traffic smuggling zone because of its geographical location.While some of the military’s counter-intelligence TIC reports listed Akwesasne under headings like, “Sabotage by Criminals/Terrorists” and “Terrorism,” Smyth said the military has never found links between terrorism and Akwesasne.“The Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces has not linked any potential terrorist activity with the Akwesasne Mohawk reserve,” said Smyth.Smyth said the repeated mention of Akwesasne in the ITC reports does not mean the military has the community under active surveillance.“Akwesasne is not under surveillance,” said Smyth.Smyth said the TIC reports, which also mentioned last year’s Valentine’s Day murdered and missing Indigenous women’s vigils as a possible source of “extremism,” are compiled in response to specific issues facing the Canadian military.“The Canadian Forces National Counter Intelligence Unit…is responsible for identifying, investigating and countering threats to the security of the DND/CAF personnel, property, material and information posed by foreign intelligence services, individuals and groups engaged in terrorism, espionage, sabotage subversion or organized criminal activities impacting DND/CAF security,” said Smyth, in an emailed statement sent to APTN. “The Canadian Forces National Counter Intelligence Unit routinely exchanges information with local police departments and other agencies to stay abreast of developing issues that may potentially impact military personnel or infrastructure if called upon to provide military support.”jbarrera@aptn.ca@JorgeBarreralast_img read more

FortisTCI honors Electricity Industry Pioneers

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 22 Dec 2015 – Pioneers in the electricity industry of the Turks and Caicos were recognized by FortisTCI. Five former electricity professionals were remembered, namely: Claridge Wilson, Ernie Jackson, Wayne Douglas, the late Eric Seymour, who was represented by his wife Gladys Seymour and the late Ken Lighbourne, who was represented by his son Brian Lightbourne. Seymour worked at the plant from 1969-2003 and was the country’s Electricity Commissioner and eventually Chief Engineer at the then, PPC. Lightbourne began as an operator in ‘89 and moved up to Distribution Superintendant and is credited as the first lineman to take safety so seriously; he died in 2002 while still with PPC. From 1992 to 2005, Claridge Wilson was with the company and played a major role in installing the caterpillar engines in Provo. Ernie Jackson joined in 1998 and is responsible for the Transmission and Distribution systems established throughout the TCI and is an engineer by trade. Wayne Douglas is credited for being a motivator and led the charge when it came to the installation and commissioning of Wartsila Engines.CEO of FortisTCI, Eddinton Powell presented the Pioneer Awards last Thursday. Related Items:brian lightbourne, claridge wilson, eddinton powell, ernie jackson, fortis tci, gladys seymour, pioneer awards, wayne douglas TCI Police looking for candy & electricity thieves Recommended for you FortisTCI reveals Education Week winners Rave Reviews for National Science Fair ideaslast_img read more

Redknapp on Premier League title battle Its a three horse race

first_imgFormer Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp believes that three teams are in the running for this season’s Premier League titleAfter suffering shock back-to-back defeats to Crystal Palace and Leicester City this month, Manchester City have slipped from top spot to third in the standings.Pep Guardiola’s side, who won the league crown in such dominant fashion last season, now find themselves seven points adrift of unbeaten leaders Liverpool.Redknapp’s old club Spurs aren’t doing badly either in second-place after beating Everton 6-2 at the weekend and Bournemouth 5-0 on Wednesday to extend their winning run to five matches.“I think it’s a three horse race,” Redknapp told talkSPORT. “Liverpool are the favourites now which is a big turnaround.“But Tottenham are in great form at the moment and they are genuine title contenders.“Spurs are still in it, you can’t write them off. They are bang there, the way they are playing at the moment.”Tammy Abraham, ChelseaChelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.As for Chelsea and Arsenal, Redknapp doesn’t see how either of them can be considered contenders.“I can’t see anybody else getting into it,” added the 71-year-old.“I watched Arsenal yesterday and they are nowhere near in my opinion.“I know they’ve had injuries, but at the back they are still very poor.“And Chelsea are just so reliant on Eden Hazard. Without him you couldn’t really see them challenging, they’re still short of a frontman.“So really, I think there are three runners and I think it will be very tight.”Meanwhile, Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher tipped his old club to take home a first league title in 28 years.last_img read more

HasinaKeqiang talks begin on the sidelines of WEF meeting

first_imgBangladesh`s prime minister Sheikh Hasina and China`s premier Li Keqiang shake hands during a signing ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China on 4 July 2019. Photo: ReutersThe bilateral talks between prime minister Sheikh Hasina and her Chinese counterpart Li Keqiang began at the Great Hall of People in Beijing on Thursday morning, reports BSS.The meeting kicked off around 11:00am at the Great Hall of People.The Great Hall of the People is a state building located at the western edge of Tiananmen Square in Beijing. It is used for legislative and ceremonial activities by the government of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and ruling Communist Party of China.Earlier on her arrival at the Great Hall of People around 10:45am, Sheikh Hasina was accorded a grand state reception.Bangladeshi prime minister Sheikh Hasina (R) and Chinese premier Li Keqiang attend a welcome ceremony outside the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China, on 4 July 2019. Photo: ReutersThe Chinese premier welcomed the Bangladesh prime minister when she reached the Great Hall of the People and later the two premiers introduced their delegation members to each other.Later, Bangladesh prime minister was given a guard of honour by a smartly turned out contingent drawn from the three services.Accompanied by the Chinese prime minister, Sheikh Hasina took salute from a decorated dais and later inspected the guards. National anthems of the two countries were played and gun salutes were also given on the occasion.After the meeting, nine instruments are likely to be signed between the two countries in the presence of the two leaders.The Bangladesh prime minister will later join a lunch at the Great Hall of the People to be hosted by Keqiang.Sheikh Hasina reached China on 1 July on a five-day official visit to attend the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting and hold talks with top Chinese leaders.last_img

Tea estate shuts down in Hills over unpaid arrears

first_imgDarjeeling: The management of Risheehat Tea Estate near Darjeeling town has declared a suspension of work. The suspension of work came on the heels of Himalayan Plantation Labour Union (HPWU – affiliated to the GNLF) stopping the plucking of first flush tea leaves. The HPWU had stopped the plucking of leaves demanding that their arrears be immediately paid. In January 2018, the daily wages of tea garden workers had been increased by Rs 17.50. In the majority of the tea gardens in the Hills, the increment took effect from March 2018. Though a year has passed, the arrears have not been paid in around 60% of the tea gardens in the Hills, claims the union.last_img read more